Port LoiusCurrently Open
- Address: Port-Louis, France, Lorient
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 06:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, View Point, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Port
Just across the bay from Lorient to the south east is Port Loius. Historically, it is supremely important as a centre for French Colonialism. It all began in 1664 when the port became the base for Compagnie des Indes, a company that traded between France and India. The location was chosen for the fortification here – the Citadelle.
Highlights of the port are:
- The various art galleries and craft shops around the town centre.
- The sandy beach
- The Lohic Promenade – With wonderful views of Lorient harbour.
- The laundry Récollets – 17th century trough for horses.
- 17th century Church of Our Lady of the Assumption.
La Citadelle Fort, the starshaped fort that contains.
- The Musée de la Compagnie des Indes – learn about the company history.
- Musée National de la Marine – a lovely exhibit on sea rescues.
How to Reach Port Loius
- Batobus, a 15-minute boat trip from Lorient that leaves from Quai des Indes.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lorient before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lorient and book an accommodation of your choice.
29.08% of people who visit Lorient include Port Loius in their plan
22.22% of people start their Port Loius visit around 5 PM
People usually take around 6 Hrs to see Port Loius
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Port Loius
Port Loius Reviews & Ratings
what time does the ferry to groix leave from lorient?....the last departure time from lorient on a wednesday evenin to groix would be ?.....thanks....opadeanAnswer Report Abuse
The cost of the ferry is 30€ for a round trip in low season and around 35€ in high season. It is lower for kids. But I am not sure about the departure timings. It would be better to check the official schedule of the ferry service for that.Report Abuse