It is a thousand year old castle, situated at the top of a rocky cliff offering a great view of the Marian Sanctuary and the Pyrenees. Its origin is said to be dated back to Roman age. You get to see few of the remaining from that age, preserved within the castle. The history says, the castle worked as a strong defense for its neighbors where people could take refuge within its wall at the time of attack. Today, it is considered as the national monument and it also house the MuseePyreneen (Museum of the Pyrenees).
The Pyrenean museum was inaugurated in 1922 by the Minister for the Arts, Leon Berard. Within the museum, collection of paintings and drawings are preserved that are donated by Lourdes Council in 1944. In the outside area, you get to see botanical garden, models of traditional Pyrenean houses and a reconstruction of a Pyrenean cemetery.
Chateau-fort De Lourdes And The Museepyreneen Travel Tips
- For disabled people, access is limited to the esplanade, the botanical garden, the models and three rooms in the museum.
- Disabled need to provide proper proof at the ticket counter.
- Children under the age of 6 gets free admission, even if they come in a group.
- Team leader and coach driver of a group gets free admission.
- For guided tour, you need to send your request via post or e-mail using online form at least 1 month prior to the date of the visit.
- Active member of the friends of the Pyrenean museum, member of ICOM (International Council of Museum), tourist guide, journalists gets free access to the Chateau Fort and its Pyrenean museum of the presentation of the proof.
- For making the payment for the ticket, you can do it in cash or by bank card.
- Individual guided tour (in French) is available only on certain days in June and September. It should be of 4 people. However, booking is not compulsory.
- Guided group tour is available without any supplement to the entry price.
- Guided tours are usually for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- The castle and its Pyrenean museum is not open on 1st January, 1st and 11th November, 25th December.
- Ticket office closes 1 hour before the closing time of the site.
- The Chateau Fort and its Pyrenean museum shop sells souvenir, books for children and so on.
Entrance Ticket Details For Chateau-fort De Lourdes And The Museepyreneen
- Children (age 6 to 11): 3€
- Young people (age 12- 18) and students: 3.50€
- Disabled people: 2€
- Job-seekers, accompanying voluntary: 3€
- Family ticket ( 2 adults, 2 children up to 18years): 18€
Group prices (at least 15 people):–
- Adults– 6€; Children ( 6-11 years): 3€
- Young people (12- 18years and students): 3.50€
Combined tickets for Chateau Fort and its Pyrenean Museum Pic du Jer:-
- Adults – 15€; Children (age 6-11): 9.50€
- Young people (age 12 – 18 and students): 12€
- Family ticket (2 adults + 2 children upto 18 years): 45€
How to Reach Chateau-fort De Lourdes And The Museepyreneen
- Nearby bus stations – Lourdes - Gare SNCF. From here, you can hire a cab and can reach the castle via Avenue General Baron Marasin within 3 minutes. Otherwise, if you walk, it will take you around 11 minutes.
- Grill Alexandra
- Brasserie de la Grotte
- La Table de Febus
- Asian Delices
- L'Epi d'Or
- Lourdes, Francia
- Phi Long
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lourdes before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lourdes and book an accommodation of your choice.
82.46% of people who visit Lourdes include Chateau-fort De Lourdes And The Museepyreneen in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
50% of people start their Chateau-fort De Lourdes And The Museepyreneen visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Chateau-fort De Lourdes And The Museepyreneen
54.92% of people prefer walking in order to reach Chateau-fort De Lourdes And The Museepyreneen