The Sanctuary of our Lady of Lourdes or the Domain (as it is commonly known) is considered as the most spiritual place of Lourdes, a destination for pilgrimage. People from all over the world come to take a dip in the icy-cold Lourdes water. At present, the ground is owned and looks after by Roman Catholics Church. They hold various religious programs, functions and arrange accommodations for the sick pilgrims and their helpers. The Domain also includes the Grotto that is said to be the replica of the one at Our Lady of Lourdes.
There is a myth surrounding the Domain that, in 1858, Virgin Mary had appeared in front of a 14-year old girl. This fact has somehow played a significant role in making this place as one of the religious destination.
Things to see:-
- BasiliqueSouterraine St-Pie X – It’s an underground Basilica.
- Basilique du Rosaire – It a minor basilica within the Sanctuary.
- To know the timings for prayer vigil, youth mass, day pilgrim service, rosary and processions, daily mass in English, international mass day, grotto.
- On May 13th and 16th August, there is no international mass.
- Thursday, May 14, the feast of the Ascension Feast: International Mass at the Basilica of St. Pius X.
- On May 17th, International Mass takes place at St. Bernadette Church.
- Saturday, August 15, Assumption Feast: French Mass at the meadow / International Mass at the same time at the Basilica of St. Pius X.
- On 7th October, there is no international mass(opening Mass of the pilgrimage of the Rosary.
- Entry is Free.
Youth Prayer Vigil:
- 9 pm Grotto, Mondays April 13, 20, 27 and May 4 Mondays 6, 13, 20 and 27 July and 3, 10, 17 and 24 August
- 9.30 am–12 am and 2:15 pm–6 pm
- Weekdays– 8.30 am-12.30 am and1.30 pm-6.00 pm Sundays and Holidays– 10.00 am-12.00 am and 2.00 pm-4.00 pm
- 9am – 12pm and 2pm – 7pm
- Nearby bus station– Transports bigorrePyrenees. From there, if you hire a car, it will take only 6 minutes.
- Del Fiacco
- DeuxFreres Restaurant & Pizza
- Restaurant Hamelin
- L'etoile De Rigaud
- Restaurant Mont Rigaud
- Dairy Queen Yvon Leduc
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Lourdes before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lourdes and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Lourdes include Sanctuairesnotre Dame De Lourdes in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
48.96% of people start their Sanctuairesnotre Dame De Lourdes visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Sanctuairesnotre Dame De Lourdes
86.75% of people prefer walking in order to reach Sanctuairesnotre Dame De Lourdes
Wonderful experience and hope to return one day. Very inspiring to witness people from the world over come together at the grotto in faith . Really can not do justice to this experience in a review. Stop in information office for schedule of Mass in several languages. Lines for baths are long and hard to judge if you will make it through. I was turned away after waiting over an hour so best to arrive as early as possible. But you may wash face in the sacred waters and drink some and the blessings are the same.
Had a wonderful, relaxing time. I bathed in the holy water. The volunteers were the best. I was helped into and out of the grotto by amazing ladies. Would recommend and hope to return.
An architectural wonder. The beauty and art are truly impressive. Do not rush your time here. It's well worth staying several hours to visit the entire grounds, listen to a sermon, stand in line to touch the rock of the grotto, and don't forget to take holy water home with you. Photo opportunities at every turn. In order to avoid extreme crowds do not go during holy days or days that are explicitly set for mass pilgrimages.
Enchanting. I will come back. How not to? The virgen Mary is felt everywhere here. Amazing place
Beautiful place, all services time to time. There's a season for visiting this place, it's closed for winter, opened for a week in February for the Feast and season begins from Easter. Very prayerful place, calm, ALL are very helpful, food rather expensive but Yummy, religious item shops found in plenty, Our Lady of Lourdes & St. Bernadette has blessed many, many people.