Are you looking for what to do in Lourdes?
PLACES TO SEE
- Sanctuaires Notre Dame de Lourdes: This is also known as the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes in France and is considered as the spiritual place of Lourdes because of the myth that says that in 1858 Virgin Mary appeared in front of a 14 year old girl. Moreover, the story surrounding the Lourdes water was that it used to cure sick pilgrims who took a dip into it has also played an important role in making this tourist attraction so popular in Lourdes.
- Chateau-fort de Sedan and it Pyreneen Museum: It is a thousand year old castle of Lourdes, situated at the top of a rocky cliff offering a great view of the Marian Sanctuary and the Pyrenees. History says that the castle worked as a strong defense for its neighbors where people could take refuge within its walls at the time of attack. Today, it is considered as the national monument and it also house the MuseePyreneen (Museum of the Pyrenees).
- Grotte de Massabielle (The Grotto of Massabielle): Bordered by the Gave de Pau in the north and the Rock of Massabielle towers in the south, the Grotto de Massabielle (the Shrine) is located right at the center of the Sanctuary. This place is popular tourist attraction of Lourdes because of the story says that it is this place where Virgin Mary appeared infront of Bernadette Soubirous in 1858.
- La Cachot: It is a tiny jail room where Bernadette and her family were forced to take refuge in 1857 when her family faced hard times. It was during her stay in this jail when Bernadette came across the Grotte de Massabielle while collecting firewood in the outside.
- Pic du Jer: Pic du Jer is a summit, located 950m above the city. It is said to be the best location to get 360° panoramic view of Lourdes, Pau and its surrounding. It is easily recognizable at night because of the big cross that lits up at night.
- Basilica of the Immaculate Conception: It is also known as Upper Basilica, is said to be the earliest Basilica of Lourdes and considered as the most important place for pilgrimage of the Hautes-Pyrenees.
THINGS TO DO
- If you are visiting Pic du Jer, make sure you ride the funicular. It’s a small railway that has been operating since 1900. It helps you to reach the top of the mountain easily. Else, hiking is another option to reach the top.
- After reaching the top, go for mountain biking within the woods. Make sure you don’t miss out these activities in your ‘things to do’ list.
- Don’t miss out the Grottos at the top of Pic du Jer. It is said to be the highest grottos of France. Other than this, enjoy the wild life at the top of the summit.
Below we have a list of things to do in Lourdes and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Lourdes getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Lourdes with confidence.