How to Reach Luang Prabang
How to reach Luang Prabang
Thanks to Luang Prabang’s growing popularity among the tourist looking for an exotic holiday, the city is well connected to the town and cities within Laos and the neighbouring countries.
- By Air: Air is the most preferred mode of transportation while reaching Luang Prabang. Daily non-stop flights fly between Luang Prabang International Airport and cities like Bangkok, Hanoi, Siem Reap and Vientiane. Located just 5 kilometres from the city, the new international airport was opened in 2013 and has major airline like Thai Airways, Silk Air, Laos Airlines operating daily flights.
- By Bus: Though not a preferred mode of transport, one can reach Luang Prabang from the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi. The ride is long and bumpy due to poor quality road surface. There is no rail network to reach Luang Prabang.
- By Boat: There are 3 ways you can reach Luang Prabang from Huay Xai in northern Laos by boat. The most economical option is public slow boat. These boats are very crowded and will take you almost two day to reach Luang Prabang. A little more expensive option is a speedboat which will take you to Luang Prabang in 6 hours. This boat ride is a little risky due to the river being rocky. You can also opt for the most expensive option, Mekong Smile Cruise, a 2-day hassle free boat ride over the Mekong river. With an overnight accommodation, tasty food and an English-speaking guide on board, you will have a wonderful time reaching Luang Prabang.
After arriving at the Luang Prabang International Airport, you can take a taxi to the centre of the city that will cost you between $6 to $8.
- On Foot: Once in the city, most of the tourist attractions are accessible on foot.
- On Bike: Visitors can also hire a bike to move around in the city though you must check with the bike rentals companies as there are restrictions on foreign visitors using bikes in Luang Prabang.
- By Tuk-Tuk/Van: To get a local feel, you can hire a tuk tuk or a van.
- Nearby Cities
- How To Reach Vientiane