Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro487 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza dell'Anfiteatro, 55100 Lucca, Italy Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: 39-05834422
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Walking Area, Historical Site, Square, Architecture , Archaeological Site , Amphitheater
The amphitheatre to host the traditional gladiatorial shows and games was built in the second half of the 1st century A.D. This archaeological treasure houses number of building built since then including the work of famous architects like Lorenzo Nottolini. It was renovated and rebuilt multiple times and the proofs of which were discovered in the 19th century. The archeological collectibles include the coins belonging to the reign Emperor Claudius and the inscription that suggest that 100000 sestertii were donated by Quintus Vibius of the Flavian age.
Successively, other buildings, used as houses and, for a certain period, even as prisons, were added to the structures that had survived abandon and plunder. Between 1830 and 1839, following a project by the architect Lorenzo Nottolini, the buildings occupying the ancient arena were pulled down and the inner area, its profile slightly adjusted, became the present day piazza.
The remains of the Roman amphitheatre are preserved, incorporated in buildings bordering the present day Piazza dell' Anfiteatro, in the northern part of the town.
The elliptic shape of the piazza corresponding, to a great extent, to the area of the ancient arena, is the result of a 19th century restoration that permits us to appreciate the volume and the general outline of the ancient monument. Besides, on the outer perimeter, along the present day Via dell' Anfiteatro, we can see some of the original walls, in particular in front of Piazza Scalpellini and to the north, between the eastern gate, the only ancient one that remains and Via del Portico.
Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro Travel Tips
- Guided tours are available.
How to Reach Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro
- By bus
- Ristorante Pizzeria Antico Sigillo
- Bella Mbriana di Palmeri Renata
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lucca before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lucca and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro Address: Piazza dell'Anfiteatro, 55100 Lucca, Italy
- Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro Contact Number: 39-05834422
- Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro(preferred time): 10:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
58.46% of people who visit Lucca include Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
33.83% of people start their Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro
55.49% of people prefer walking in order to reach Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro
People normally club together Via Fillungo and Palazzo Pfanner while planning their visit to Roman Amphitheatre Or Piazza Anfiteatro.