Bara ImambaraCurrently Open
- Address: Bara Imambara (Main Building), Machchhi Bhavan, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226003, India
- Timings: 06:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-5222308017
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Palace, Family And Kids, Architecture , Tunnel, Hall
This magnificent building was built in the year 1784 as part of a major relief project for a famine that hit the city. Constructed by Asaf-ud-Daula, it also called Asfi Imambara after him. It is an important place of worship for the Muslims who come to visit this place during Muharram. The Bara Imambara has a unique style construction, with all the charm and radiance of the old world. The central arched hall of this place is known to be the largest hall in the world, with a height of 15 metres and a length of 50 metres. The roof stands steady and firm without any support of pillars whatsoever. This is due to the construction being done with interlocking system of bricks. The upper floor of the Imambara has a Bhulbhulaiya, which is an incredible maze. A stairway leads to this level. The view from the top is magnificent and panoramic. Word has it that great treasures are hidden in the secret tunnels of the maze.
Bara Imambara Travel Tips
- It is a place of worship for the Muslims, hence, the sanctity of the place has to be maintained.
- Tourists might get lost or abandoned in the maze of Bhulbhulaiya, hence hiring a guide is advisable.
- Owing to its historical importance, it is expected of people to not cause any damage to the place, in any which way.
Entrance Ticket Details For Bara Imambara
- 300 INR (for foreigners)
- 25 INR (for Indians)
Bara Imambara Hours
- The above timings ply on all days of the week except Monday.
- Please visit the official website to know the schedule of the place on festivals and special occasions.
How to Reach Bara Imambara
- Bus: Tai Bus Service and Mishra Bus Service are the nearby bus stops to this place.
- Cab: It is a prominent landmark in itself and can be reached by hiring a cab or auto from nearby.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lucknow before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lucknow and book an accommodation of your choice.
54.16% of people who visit Lucknow include Bara Imambara in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
90.12% of people start their Bara Imambara visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Bara Imambara
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Bara Imambara