The Shaolin temple is located in the region of Song Mountain, in the Henan province and is reputed to be ‘the number one Shaolin temple under Heaven’. The Shaolin temple embraces many exciting arts and attractions, and offers the visitors to indulge themselves in Chinese Zen Buddhism and the Shaolin Martial arts. The main gate to the temple, the stone archway with a huge rock in the front is carved with the words “Shaolin Culture, People’s Heritage”, by Former Chinese president Jiang Zeming. The Temple compound is located in the lap of nature, with birds singing and a brook sprinkling, it offers more than just the ancient Chinese Shaolin arts and practices. You can also explore wild flowers and pine trees on the surrounding Mountain. On a visit to the Shaolin temple, do not miss The Kung Fu Show, performed by the professional Shaolin Tagou Kung Fu School. Highlights and must sees include:
- Hall of the Heavenly Kings (Tianwangdian)
- The Shaolin Kung Fu Show Theatre
- The Mahavira Hall (Daxiongbaodian)
- The Ancestor’s Monasteries
- The Pagoda Forest – a graveyard for Buddhist dignitaries through the ages
- Dharma Cave – where Dharma meditated for 9 years and later created the Buddhist Zen
- Martial Art Training Center
Shaolin Temple Travel Tips
- It is advised to reach early at the location, as it takes quite a while to cover everything the site has to offer.
- Visitors may follow the virtual guide about the Shaolin temple.
- The Ticket price of CNY 110 includes CNY 10 for the electric bus.
Shaolin Temple Hours
Kung Fu Show timings
- 9:30am - 10:00am
- 11:30 am - 12:00pm
- 2:00pm - 2:30pm
- 3:00pm – 3:30pm
- 4:00pm – 4:30pm
How to Reach Shaolin Temple
- From Dengfeng: Bus no. 8 or the Shaolin Shuttle Bus
- Take tourist lines from the Luoyang railway station for a 2-hour journey to the Shaolin temple.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Luoyang before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Luoyang and book an accommodation of your choice.
44.56% of people who visit Luoyang include Shaolin Temple in their plan
73.08% of people start their Shaolin Temple visit around 08 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shaolin Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shaolin Temple