Musee Des Beaux ArtsCurrently Closed
- Address: 20 Place des Terreaux, 69001 Lyon, France
- Timings: 10:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: 33-472101740
- Ticket Price: 7 EUR
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museum, Family And Kids, Exhibition , Sculpture
Musee Des Beaux Arts - Review
Classic big and posh museum. The building, between the rivers Rhone and Saonne, is impressive enough. It was once an abbey, though the nuns were expelled in the French Revolution – probably for receiving too many aristocrats. It was called the The Palais du commerce et des Arts for a while and gained a lots of artworks, archeological items and natural history exhibits. The Lyon School for artists was born here. Today, a staff of 130 employees maintain 70 rooms of exhibits. These exhibits include:
- French painting (16th to 18th century)
- 19th-century French painting
- 14th- to 18th-century Italian painting
- Spanish painting (mainly 17th century)
- German, Flemish and Dutch painting (mainly 16th and 17th centuries)
- 20th-century painting
- Rodin: The shadow, or Adam (1902) and The temptation of Saint Anthony (1900)a sculpture by Léon-Alexandre Delhomme representing Democrites meditating on the seat of the soul (1864)
- A sculpture by Emile Antoine Bourdelle representing Carpeaux at work (1909)
- A Venus (1918–1928) by Aristide Maillol
- An Odalisque(1841) by James Pradier,
- A group by Antoine Etex representing Caïn and his race cursed by God
Also included in the musuem are 600+ antiquities from Ancient Egypt across nine thematically arranged rooms, artefacts from the Middle East, Ancient Greece, Ancient Room, Islamic and Byzantine Arts, Far East ceramics, a collection of over 50000 coins and graphic art from 20th century onwards.
Visit 2 weeks in France Itinerary for an unforgettable France travel experience
Musee Des Beaux Arts Information
- Ticket office closes 30 minutes before closing time.
- Sling carriers and light strollers are made available for those bring babies.
- Wheelchairs are made available at exhibition entrance.
- Use the free audio guide.
- Make sure you check out the restaurant, the museum shop and the absolutely lovely courtyard in the centre.
- Do not touch the works.
- Do not smoke, drink or eat in the rooms.
- Do not use a flash.
- Do not take pictures of the exhibitions.
- Do not use a cell phone in the exhibition rooms.
- Do not bring bulky objects or animals into the museum and garden.
Musee Des Beaux Arts Ticket Prices
- 4 Euros for certain ages and categories. Ask.
- 9 Euros for exhibitions (EUR 6 for reduced categories).
- Buying a museum + exhibition combo will get you reduced rates.
Musee Des Beaux Arts Hours
- Garden is open 8.30am to 6.30pm all year.
How To reach Musee Des Beaux Arts by Public Transport
- Hotel de Ville- Louis Pradel Metro Station (Line A and Line C)
Restaurants Near Musee Des Beaux Arts
- Chez Hugon
- Chez Paul
- Au Petit Bouchon Chez Georges
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Lyon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lyon and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Musee Des Beaux Arts
44.84% of people who visit Lyon include Musee Des Beaux Arts in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
93.04% of people start their Musee Des Beaux Arts visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Musee Des Beaux Arts
68.29% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Musee Des Beaux Arts
People normally club together Place Des Terreaux and Museum Of Textiles And Decorative Arts Or Musee Des Tissus Et Des Arts Décoratifs while planning their visit to Musee Des Beaux Arts.
Musee Des Beaux Arts Trips
Musee Des Beaux Arts, Lyon Reviews
We spent a good couple of hours there and it had some lovely sculptures and numerous rooms on several floors filled with a wide range of artwork spanning the ages. There are quite a few notable paintings and other items here and the free leaflet was very informative, highlighting on a floor plan exactly where these key works were to be found. Definitely worth visiting.
Wonderful selection of fine art spanning many centuries and laid out beautifully. Lots of space to take your time and absorption this historical context and beautiful art. My favourite by far is the marble sculpture exhibition displayed in a beautiful part of the museum.
What a fabulous museum and gallery. Not too crowded and a wonderful and diverse collection of art. Bonus is the peaceful and large courtyard garden.
Pretty good place. Got some nice sculptures and some paintings big in nice. Not many famous names, but can spot a few such as Renoir, Sisley and Matisse. Lot of places nearby to eat and drink. The museum can take up 2-3 hours as it is not that big. Passes are available which you can share amongst several museums of Lyon.
Stunning Museum with various masterpieces. Museum also include a vast selection of Greek, Roman and Egyptian Artifacts. Enjoyed it more than the Louvre as it is less crowded and it gives you the possibility to enjoy the masterpieces with more tranquility . Free entrance with the Lyon city Card