Musee Des Beaux Arts802 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 20 Place des Terreaux, 69001 Lyon, France
- Timings: 10:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: 33-472101740
- Ticket Price: 7 EUR
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museums, Family And Kids, Exhibition , Sculpture
Classic big and posh museum. The building, between the rivers Rhone and Saonne, is impressive enough. It was once an abbey, though the nuns were expelled in the French Revolution – probably for receiving too many aristocrats. It was called the The Palais du commerce et des Arts for a while and gained a lots of artworks, archeological items and natural history exhibits. The Lyon School for artists was born here. Today, a staff of 130 employees maintain 70 rooms of exhibits. These exhibits include:
- French painting (16th to 18th century)
- 19th-century French painting
- 14th- to 18th-century Italian painting
- Spanish painting (mainly 17th century)
- German, Flemish and Dutch painting (mainly 16th and 17th centuries)
- 20th-century painting
- Rodin: The shadow, or Adam (1902) and The temptation of Saint Anthony (1900)a sculpture by Léon-Alexandre Delhomme representing Democrites meditating on the seat of the soul (1864)
- A sculpture by Emile Antoine Bourdelle representing Carpeaux at work (1909)
- A Venus (1918–1928) by Aristide Maillol
- An Odalisque(1841) by James Pradier,
- A group by Antoine Etex representing Caïn and his race cursed by God
Also included in the musuem are 600+ antiquities from Ancient Egypt across nine thematically arranged rooms, artefacts from the Middle East, Ancient Greece, Ancient Room, Islamic and Byzantine Arts, Far East ceramics, a collection of over 50000 coins and graphic art from 20th century onwards.
Visit 2 weeks in France Itinerary for an unforgettable France travel experience
Musee Des Beaux Arts Travel Tips
- Ticket office closes 30 minutes before closing time.
- Sling carriers and light strollers are made available for those bring babies.
- Wheelchairs are made available at exhibition entrance.
- Use the free audio guide.
- Make sure you check out the restaurant, the museum shop and the absolutely lovely courtyard in the centre.
- Do not touch the works.
- Do not smoke, drink or eat in the rooms.
- Do not use a flash.
- Do not take pictures of the exhibitions.
- Do not use a cell phone in the exhibition rooms.
- Do not bring bulky objects or animals into the museum and garden.
Entrance Ticket Details For Musee Des Beaux Arts
- 4 Euros for certain ages and categories. Ask.
- 9 Euros for exhibitions (EUR 6 for reduced categories).
- Buying a museum + exhibition combo will get you reduced rates.
Musee Des Beaux Arts Hours
- Garden is open 8.30am to 6.30pm all year.
How to Reach Musee Des Beaux Arts
- Hotel de Ville- Louis Pradel Metro Station (Line A and Line C)
- Chez Hugon
- Chez Paul
- Au Petit Bouchon Chez Georges
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lyon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lyon and book an accommodation of your choice.
29.49% of people who visit Lyon include Musee Des Beaux Arts in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
93.04% of people start their Musee Des Beaux Arts visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Musee Des Beaux Arts
68.29% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Musee Des Beaux Arts
People normally club together Place Des Terreaux and Museum Of Textiles And Decorative Arts Or Musee Des Tissus Et Des Arts Décoratifs while planning their visit to Musee Des Beaux Arts.