Musee Des Beaux Arts, Lyon
Musee Des Beaux Arts, Lyon - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: 20 Place des Terreaux, 69001 Lyon, France
Ticket Price: 7 EUR
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 6K times in trip plans
Art Museum, Family And Kids, Exhibition , Sculpture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Musee Des Beaux Arts, Lyon
Classic big and posh museum. The building, between the rivers Rhone and Saonne, is impressive enough. It was once an abbey, though the nuns were expelled in the French Revolution – probably for receiving too many aristocrats. It was called the The Palais du commerce et des Arts for a while and gained a lots of artworks, archeological items and natural history exhibits. The Lyon School for artists was born here. Today, a staff of 130 employees maintain 70 rooms of exhibits. These exhibits include:
- French painting (16th to 18th century)
- 19th-century French painting
- 14th- to 18th-century Italian painting
- Spanish painting (mainly 17th century)
- German, Flemish and Dutch painting (mainly 16th and 17th centuries)
- 20th-century painting
- Rodin: The shadow, or Adam (1902) and The temptation of Saint Anthony (1900)a sculpture by Léon-Alexandre Delhomme representing Democrites meditating on the seat of the soul (1864)
- A sculpture by Emile Antoine Bourdelle representing Carpeaux at work (1909)
- A Venus (1918–1928) by Aristide Maillol
- An Odalisque(1841) by James Pradier,
- A group by Antoine Etex representing Caïn and his race cursed by God
Also included in the musuem are 600+ antiquities from Ancient Egypt across nine thematically arranged rooms, artefacts from the Middle East, Ancient Greece, Ancient Room, Islamic and Byzantine Arts, Far East ceramics, a collection of over 50000 coins and graphic art from 20th century onwards.
Visit 2 weeks in France Itinerary for an unforgettable France travel experience
Musee Des Beaux Arts Information
- Ticket office closes 30 minutes before closing time.
- Sling carriers and light strollers are made available for those bring babies.
- Wheelchairs are made available at exhibition entrance.
- Use the free audio guide.
- Make sure you check out the restaurant, the museum shop and the absolutely lovely courtyard in the centre.
- Do not touch the works.
- Do not smoke, drink or eat in the rooms.
- Do not use a flash.
- Do not take pictures of the exhibitions.
- Do not use a cell phone in the exhibition rooms.
- Do not bring bulky objects or animals into the museum and garden.
Musee Des Beaux Arts Ticket Prices
- 4 Euros for certain ages and categories. Ask.
- 9 Euros for exhibitions (EUR 6 for reduced categories).
- Buying a museum + exhibition combo will get you reduced rates.
Musee Des Beaux Arts Opening and Closing Hours
- Garden is open 8.30am to 6.30pm all year.
How To reach Musee Des Beaux Arts by Public Transport
- Hotel de Ville- Louis Pradel Metro Station (Line A and Line C)
Restaurants Near Musee Des Beaux Arts
- Chez Hugon
- Chez Paul
- Au Petit Bouchon Chez Georges
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Lyon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lyon and book an accommodation of your choice.
Musee Des Beaux Arts, Lyon Reviews - Write a Review
Beautiful building. Loved the sculpture gallery in particular. I was disappointed to see some of the labelling missing on the ceramic displays.
Fine art museum. Full of things like antiquities from Greece, Egypt etc. Easy to get around. There are also plates & past decorative items, coins, old furniture and the odd tapestry to look at. Oh, and paintings and old vases. Some of the more famous artists paintings upstairs.
It's not the biggest museum I've ever visited, but they have all sorts of art works I can appreciate
Really nice collection. A great place to relax in the middle of town.
This small art museum houses a good selection of fine classical pieces spanning multiple periods. Good place to be and stroll through on a weekend afternoon. The courtyard is a peaceful respite away from the bustle of the square, Place see Terreaux, directly outside.