Place Des TerreauxCurrently Open
- Address: Place des Terreaux, Lyon, France
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Square, Family And Kids
This square has seen quite a bit of Lyon’s history, and it’s more famous moments are as follows:
- There was once a wall here built to serve various defensive purposes but they crumbled in the 16th century.
- The nuns of Saint Pierre used bits of the wall to repair theirs convent; that building is nowadays known as the Lyon Fine Arts Museum.
- In the 17th the famous Hotel de ville de Lyon was built on the eastern side of the square.
- Henri Coiffier de Ruzé, the Marquis of Cinq-Mars who conspired against Richelieu, was executed here, as were many others under a guillotine set in the middle of the square during the French Revolution and the Siege of Lyon.
- A fountain by Bartholdi, originally made for Bordeaux, was purchased by Lyon and placed here in 1891. To the north of the square.
Today, north of the square you can see the city hall. There are a lot of nice little shops and restaurants around and the people watching is brilliant!
- Visit at evening and night , the sunset is beautiful enough, but later the place is lit up to impress!
- Too many to count
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Lyon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lyon and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Lyon include Place Des Terreaux in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
30.58% of people start their Place Des Terreaux visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Place Des Terreaux
76.11% of people prefer walking in order to reach Place Des Terreaux