Traboules Du Vieux LyonCurrently Open
- Address: Avenue St Jean, Lyon, France
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: 12 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Walking Area, Family And Kids
Hidden away from the Lyon public are a secret world of covered passageways, alleys that silk merchants would use to safely pass their goods around Lyon. Indeed, the word traboules, in Latin, means to pass through. They were immensely valuable to the city’s main industry, textiles, as they offered an easy way to move about for almost 90000 silk workers.
The traboules also played an important role in sparking off the Canute revolt. Workers who wanted a fixed lower limit for their craft tried to negotiate with the major manufacturers. Negotiations failing, the workers revolted and used the traboules to move through the city and some heavy duty bloody fighting went down in November 1831.
They also had another unexpected use: for the movement of the resistance during WWII. There are over 400 of these, running mostly through Vieux-Lyon and Croix-Rousse districts but only a select few of those exciting passageways are open to the public.
The publicly accessible traboules can be found as follows:
- 9 Place Colbert/14 bismontee Saint Sebastion, a picturesque six story staircase called the Traboule de la Tour Rose.
- 54 Rue Saint-Jean and 27 Rue du Bœuf. – the longest traboule.
- 10 quaiRomain Rolland and 2 place du Gouvernement.
- 17 quaiRomain Rolland and 9 rue des Trois Maries.
- 31 rue du Boeuf and 14 rue de la Bombarde.
Visit 2 weeks in France Itinerary for an unforgettable France travel experience
- Find traboules in Vieux Lyon by the shield shaped bronze plaques that mark them. Find them in Croix-Rousse by the lion’s head on a blue background.
- It’s best to take the guided tour if you aren’t going to take your time.
- Adults: 12 Euros, Students and people from 8 to18 years: 5 Euros.
- Entry is free up to eighe years.
- Free with a Lyon City Card.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Lyon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lyon and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Lyon include Traboules Du Vieux Lyon in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
30.53% of people start their Traboules Du Vieux Lyon visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Traboules Du Vieux Lyon
77.92% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Traboules Du Vieux Lyon