Capital city of the coastal state Alagaos, Brasil- Maceio is the largest city in the state. The name has a very interesting origin. It is believed that it comes from water flowing out of the soil, much like the nature of the city. Maceio is known mainly to thrive on its sugar industry. Apart from that, everything about this city is unique. Its beautiful customs, cuisines, history, places to visit- you are sure to never get enough of Maceio. Much like its name, the city's infrastructure has appealed largely to national and International tourists and overtime Maceio has developed itself as a preferred tourist destination. The bright green sea perched in between tall palm trees and mangroves just accentuate the coastal beauty that Maceio already inherits. Cruz das Almas, Jatiuca, Pajuçara, Ponta Verde, Pontal da Barra and Sobral are some mainstream beaches and are lovely places to spend some quality time with your loved ones.
You can also choose to go to a number of beaches situated at North coast. The beauty of the South coasts beaches is also second to none and all in all you can have a complete beach experience in the city. You should also plan on visiting the near-by coastal town known as Piacabucu- which is known for its natural beauty and is sure to not disappoint you. The loveliest part about the ride is the sail through San Francisco River as you can see where it ends and meets the Atlantic Ocean. The restaurants along the beaches itself are enough to satiate your hunger and the local cuisine is sure to tingle your taste buds. There are a lot of poor people in the city though and Maceio is also known to be one of the most violent cities of Coastal Brazil. There is so much to explore in Maceio, so take it a Tapioca a day!
Essential travel information and Maceio tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC−03:00
- Currency: Brazilian Real
- Electricity: The voltage in Maceio is 110 V and the frequency is 60 Hz.
- Internet: The Internet speed is fairly high. But free wifi is not readily available.
- Languages: Brazilians speak Portuguese with a local touch to the language. German and Italian are also widely spoken in Porto Seguro, along with English in touristy areas.
Emergency Contact Numbers
- Military Police (first number to call) 190 or 911
- Ambulance 192
- Fire Department 193
- Civil Police 197
- Do not take drinks from strangers.
- Do not carry a lot of money with you.
- Do not travel alone or walk at night.
- Carry a lot of sun screen and sun glasses.
- At almost all restaurants and bars, a standard "serviço" service fee of 10% is included as a line item at the end of the "conta" or bill. It is not compulsory.
- It is not customary to give tips in Brazil. Only if you find the service exceptional and have a good exchange rate, you can let people know by being generous.
Maceio Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for maceio. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using maceio trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Maceio
Save 7%Private Airport Transfer: Maceio to Maceio-Zumbi dos Palmares Int. Airport (MCZ)New on TripHobo
Save 7%Private Airport Transfer: Maceio-Zumbi dos Palmares Int. Airport (MCZ) to MaceioNew on TripHobo