The 6.5 million Madrileno (that’s what the people here call themselves) Spanish capital Madrid hits a lot of tourism bull’s-eyes: architecture, nightlife, food, sport and culture. Madrid has so much personality it’s like a mini-country with its own distinct identity. When the question arises about arts and culture, Madrid is not far behind. Be it Msueo del Prado or the Museo Nacional Del Prado, Madrid has proved its strong relation with the field of art. Take a ride on Madrid Cable Car to take a closer look on the beautiful heritage of Madrid from high above the land. Be ready with your camera as you might come across many moments which deserve to be captured.
History says that the Spanish Royal family greatly influenced Madrid’s growth and looks, as did Franco’s rule. Though cosmopolitan has influenced in the modernism of the city, Madrid still holds on it’s root. Wander around the city and you will see ancient red-tile rooftop buildings standing strong behind a trendy shop. This shows Madrid has still managed to hold both past and present.
Madrid is often called Spain’s party town and this is because there are events and festivals in Madrid held all year round – and this isn’t just to draw in tourists. The locals really do love their celebrations. For shopaholicas, place like Gran Via let you visit the latest fashion of Spain.
It’s divided into neighbourhoods, some of which are tourist traps and others are tourist heaven, for example, Lavapies, Gran Via, Masalena, Moncloa, Salamanca, La Latina and Chueca. Within these neighborhoods, you’ll discover very particular kinds of pleasures (Chueca is Mardrid’s LGBT central). Each one of you should visit Madrid at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Madrid.
Essential travel information and Madrid tips for your visit
Essential Information about Madrid:
- Instead of facing hassle with taxi drivers at the Madrid airport, pre-book a car or shuttle service with Aerocity or GoMadrid.com.
- Avoid hiring car as parking is a big issue in the city.
- Tapas is cheaper for free days.
- Summer season, specially July and August is a way too tourist crowded and many of the local shopkeepers close their shops as they also leave for vacation so better check when is the best time to visit Madrid.
- Madrid tap water is as safe as bottled water.
- Time Zone- UTC/GMT + 2 hour
- Currency- Euro (EUR)
- Electricity and Internet - Voltage – 220-240 Volts, Primary Socket Type – Europlug, Schuko. For internet, free Wi-Fi is available in some of the hotels in Madrid. Buy a round pin immersion heater and a plug adapter before you come to Spain
- Languages- Spanish is the official language in Madrid. However, English is widely understood by the tourists. Catalan, Galician and Basque are also spoken in relevant areas.
- Security- Emergency services in Madrid: 112;Madrid City Council Information : 010; Community of Madrid Information: 012; 24 hour Chemist: 098; Fire – 080 (Madrid and Mostoles); 085 (Community of Madrid); Police – 091 (National), 092 (Municipal), 062 (Guardia Civil)
- Off-beaten Path –Visit the high cross on the mountains of Guadarrama which will take around one and half hour journey towards the north of Madrid. Go for a Madrid Cable Car ride to reach Cada de Campo.
- Tipping – Tipping is not a thing; at large restaurants 5% is more than enough.
- Tourist Traps-Beware of pickpockets;Don’t buy luxury paella; Order house wnes;
- Customs –A tourist can find all the information needed to navigate via online. If you get lost in the city, drive downhill and you will eventually reach Castellana, Recoletos or Paseo del Pardo central axis or the M30.
Madrid Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Madrid. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Madrid trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Madrid
Save 10%Toledo and Segovia Tour with Alcazar Entrance from Madrid
11 Hrs585 Reviews
Save 10%Museo del Prado with Reina Sofia Museum
4 Hrs178 Reviews
Save 8%Skip the Line: Prado Museum Tour in Madrid
1 Hr 30 Mins332 Reviews
Save 10%5-days Guided Tour in Andalusia from Madrid via Cordoba
5 Days25 Reviews
Save 4%Prado Museum Afternoon Guided Tour
2 Hrs5 Reviews