Visit Madrid - Best of Madrid
The 6.5 million Madrileno (that’s what the people here call themselves) Spanish capital Madrid hits a lot of tourism bull’s-eyes: architecture, nightlife, food, sport and culture. Madrid has so much personality it’s like a mini-country with its own distinct identity. When the question arises about arts and culture, Madrid is not far behind. Be it Msueo del Prado or the Museo Nacional Del Prado, Madrid has proved its strong relation with the field of art. Take a ride on Madrid Cable Car to take a closer look on the beautiful heritage of Madrid from high above the land. Be ready with your camera as you might come across many moments which deserve to be captured.
History says that the Spanish Royal family greatly influenced Madrid’s growth and looks, as did Franco’s rule. Though cosmopolitan has influenced in the modernism of the city, Madrid still holds on it’s root. Wander around the city and you will see ancient red-tile rooftop buildings standing strong behind a trendy shop. This shows Madrid has still managed to hold both past and present.
Madrid is often called Spain’s party town and this is because there are events and festivals in Madrid held all year round – and this isn’t just to draw in tourists. The locals really do love their celebrations. For shopaholicas, place like Gran Via let you visit the latest fashion of Spain.
It’s divided into neighbourhoods, some of which are tourist traps and others are tourist heaven, for example, Lavapies, Gran Via, Masalena, Moncloa, Salamanca, La Latina and Chueca. Within these neighborhoods, you’ll discover very particular kinds of pleasures (Chueca is Mardrid’s LGBT central). Each one of you should visit Madrid at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Madrid.
Madrid Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Madrid tips for your visit
Essential Information about Madrid:
- Instead of facing hassle with taxi drivers at the Madrid airport, pre-book a car or shuttle service with Aerocity or GoMadrid.com.
- Avoid hiring car as parking is a big issue in the city.
- Tapas is cheaper for free days.
- Summer season, specially July and August is a way too tourist crowded and many of the local shopkeepers close their shops as they also leave for vacation so better check when is the best time to visit Madrid.
- Madrid tap water is as safe as bottled water.
- Time Zone- UTC/GMT + 2 hour
- Currency- Euro (EUR)
- Electricity and Internet - Voltage – 220-240 Volts, Primary Socket Type – Europlug, Schuko. For internet, free Wi-Fi is available in some of the hotels in Madrid. Buy a round pin immersion heater and a plug adapter before you come to Spain
- Languages- Spanish is the official language in Madrid. However, English is widely understood by the tourists. Catalan, Galician and Basque are also spoken in relevant areas.
- Security- Emergency services in Madrid: 112;Madrid City Council Information : 010; Community of Madrid Information: 012; 24 hour Chemist: 098; Fire – 080 (Madrid and Mostoles); 085 (Community of Madrid); Police – 091 (National), 092 (Municipal), 062 (Guardia Civil)
- Off-beaten Path –Visit the high cross on the mountains of Guadarrama which will take around one and half hour journey towards the north of Madrid. Go for a Madrid Cable Car ride to reach Cada de Campo.
- Tipping – Tipping is not a thing; at large restaurants 5% is more than enough.
- Tourist Traps-Beware of pickpockets;Don’t buy luxury paella; Order house wnes;
- Customs –A tourist can find all the information needed to navigate via online. If you get lost in the city, drive downhill and you will eventually reach Castellana, Recoletos or Paseo del Pardo central axis or the M30.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Madrid and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Madrid- Know before you go to Madrid
Facts and Stats for Madrid*
Pollution Statistics in Madrid
Know the pollution level of Madrid before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 66.43 (High)
Water Pollution 18.95 (Very Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 52.34 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 51.15 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 15.38 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 41.27 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 40.53 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 35.94 (Low)
Madrid: Crime and Safety
How safe is Madrid for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Madrid.
Burglary and Theft 37.5 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 39.34 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 33.26 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 67.54 (High)
Car Stealing 34.81 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 47.2 (Moderate)
Attacks 32.91 (Low)
Drug offense 45.79 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 76.74 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 61.87 (High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 34.2 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 30.23 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 47.45 (Moderate)
Living in Madrid - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Madrid is 158.08 (Very High)
Safety Index 59.44 (Moderate)
Climate Index 85.3 (Very High)
Pollution Index 54.86 (Moderate)
Traffic Commute Time Index 37.01 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 66.65 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 79.54 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 10.31 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 100.39 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Madrid
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Madrid
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.25 USD
International Movie per seat 11.03 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 34.22 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 90.37 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 87.06 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Madrid Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Madrid
Madrid Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Madrid
250 Reviews Duration: 4 Hrs
Marvel at the historic sights of Madrid on this city sightseeing and Royal Palace tour. Learn the story of Madrid through its...
USD 55.01Book Now
252 Reviews Duration: 5 Hrs
See Madrids top city sights from the comfort of a luxury coach, and then spend your afternoon exploring Spains national museu...
USD 71.53Book Now
169 Reviews Duration: 4 Hrs
Feel the passion and heat of Spain's traditional dance at the legendary Cafe de Chinitas flamenco show. Be swept up in the rh...
USD 52.56Book Now
10 Reviews Duration: 7 Days
From Madrid, spend seven days on a tour of Spain's most famous cities! You'll enjoy fascinating tours of Cordoba, Seville, Gr...
USD 934.35Book Now
- Cities Near Madrid
- Majadahonda Tourism
- Segovia Tourism
- Toledo Tourism
- Burgos Tourism
- Salamanca Tourism
- Logrono Tourism
- Carabaña Tourism
- Chiloeches Tourism
- Las Rozas De Madrid Tourism
- Top cities from Spain
- Barcelona Tourism
- Seville Tourism
- Malaga Tourism
- Jerez Tourism
- Santiago De Compostela Tourism
- Zaragoza Tourism
- Vistabella Del Maestrat Tourism
- Zamora Tourism
- Barro Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Baroda Tourism
- Bedlington Tourism
- Elgin Tourism