Gateway Of The SunCurrently Open
- Address: C. Mayor / C. Alcala, 28013 Madrid, Spain
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Entertainment, Square, Family And Kids
Gateway Of The Sun - Review
Spain’s Km 0 is a freaking cool place. It was once really just a gate in a wall around old Madrid, so called because at dawn, it framed the rising sun perfectly. It became a popular meeting point for couriers and messengers who wanted to be the first to exchange juicy gossip – traditionally at the stairs to the Saint Philip church. The people watching here is brilliant, thanks to the plethora of shopping, dining, street music/performances and nightclubs that start after 12:00 am. It’s the country’s spiritual centre too: the square is often the grounds for social and political protests and demonstration. The New Year is rung in live here every year for the last 50 years.
- The old post office that is the office of Madrid’s President.
- Mounted statue of Charles III of Spain
- The Tio Pepe sherry lighted sign.
- a statue of a bear and a madrone tree (madroño), the heraldic symbol of Madrid.
- The kilometro cero plaque that is also symbolic of the location’s use as a historical and political rallying point.
- The 12 Grapes Clock
How To reach Gateway Of The Sun by Public Transport
- Lines 1, 2 and 3 of the Madrid Metro
- Nearby Bus Station: Carretas - Puerta del Sol
Restaurants Near Gateway Of The Sun
- Too many to count
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Madrid before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Madrid and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Gateway Of The Sun
34.56% of people who visit Madrid include Gateway Of The Sun in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
41.07% of people start their Gateway Of The Sun visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Gateway Of The Sun
67.5% of people prefer walking in order to reach Gateway Of The Sun
Gateway Of The Sun Trips
3 Views10 Days 9 Nights10 Day Trip to Barcelona, Madrid, Ibiza from MiamiBy: Lauren KingcadeCity: Madrid, Barcelona, Ibiza