How to Reach Madrid
HOW TO GET TO MADRID
- By Air: Adolfo Suarez Madrid-Barajas Airport is one of Europe’s largest airports with many flights daily. From the airport, 24-hours express bus service to downtown Puerta del Sol or Atocha are there. Train Line C1 connects Terminal 4 to Atocha and Chamartin stations. The metro line 8 connects all terminals to the Nuevos Ministerios station are also there.
- By Train: RENFE; Madrid and Barcelona, Seville, Malaga. Other connections include Ciudad Real, Lisbon, Milan, the French coast, Paris. Northbound and international trains arrive and depart from Chamartin station. Trains to Barcelona, Valencia and southern Spain depart from Atocha.
- By Bus: Madrid’s 8 massive bus stations connect the city to practically all of Europe.
- By Car: The Highways A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, and A6 all lead by road into Madrid.
HOW TO GET AROUND MADRID
- By Metro de Madrid: Second in size only to the London Underground. Extremely convenient. Multilingual tickets. So long you have a stamped ticket inside the Metro zone, you can travel far and wide; once you leave though, you have to get another stamped ticket. Metros run from 6:00 am – 1:30 am
- By Bus: Buses will take you everywhere the Metro won’t, and they have free WiFi.
- By Cercanias Train: Trains are there but they are very, very slow. Prefer the metro.
- By Car: Get a map, and a reliable GPS device if you wish to move around in a car.
- By Taxi: It is the most inexpensive mode of transportation. Hail them on the streets that are marked with “Libre” on the roof.
- Walking: It’s the best way to get around the compact centre of Madrid with its many tourist attractions.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Madrid. The most preferred mode of transport in Madrid is Car.
Average distance: 17.52 km Average time: 35.25 min
Car 44.25%Driving 30.74 min Walking 2.28 min Overall average time for 24.25 kms 33.02 min
Walking 15.93%Walking 19.61 min Train 4.39 min Waiting 1.67 min Driving 1.56 min Bus 0.83 min Motorbike 0.44 min Other 0.22 min Overall average time for 5.03 kms 28.72 min
Motorbike 3.54%Motorbike 28.75 min Overall average time for 19.5 kms 28.75 min
Train/Metro 18.58%Train 33.43 min Walking 8.86 min Waiting 4.29 min Other 1.48 min Overall average time for 14.05 kms 48.05 min
Bus/Trolleybus 8.85%Bus 21.6 min Walking 5.6 min Train 4.3 min Waiting 3.9 min Driving 1 min Overall average time for 15.48 kms 36.4 min
Bike 1.77%Bike 22.5 min Overall average time for 4.5 kms 22.5 min