Monasterio De La EncarnacionCurrently Open [Closes at 02:00 pm]
- Address: Plaza de la Encarnacion, 1, 28013 Madrid, Spain
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Phone: +34-914548800
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Monastery , Sculpture
Philip III and Margaret of Austria founded this convent in 1611, to celebrate the expulsion of the Moors here. Margeret personally chose the nun who’d live there. You can’t go traipsing around the place by yourself; it’s mandatory to follow the group tour.
Things to note include:
- The blue and white tiling
- The Hall of the Kinds, which is a room or portraits of royalty.
- The Relics Chapel which contains the relics of hundreds of saints, most of which were saved from the Reformation.
- The altar paintings by Vincenzo Carducci in 1616
- The tabernacle by Ventura Rodríguez
- The various sculptures
The church has a very understated beauty – it’s only when you’ve been through it that you realise how nice the experience was. It’s like having green tea.
- General Admission: 6 EURO
- Free Admission: Children under 5 years; People with disabilities carriers accreditation, International Museum Day.
- For more information, visit the official website.
- Box office and open access to the monastery in the morning until 1:00pm and until 5:30pm.
- Public Holidays: 10:00am – 3:00pm
- Box office and open access to the Monastery until 2:00pm.
- By Bus: Lines 3, 25, 39 and 148
- By Metro: Opera Station, Línes 5 and 2
- Caripen Restaurant
- LA MI VENTA
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Madrid before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Madrid and book an accommodation of your choice.
3.31% of people who visit Madrid include Monasterio De La Encarnacion in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
95% of people start their Monasterio De La Encarnacion visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Monasterio De La Encarnacion
66.67% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Monasterio De La Encarnacion
this place is amazing. you can ony go in with a guided tour. english is only available after 4 pm, so prepare for this time. however, the place is wonderful with so many works of art, painting, relis and different things to fascinate your mind. it is a must see in madrid
What a wonderful place filled with works of art, paintings, relics and steeped in sacred history. The church is lavish and the tour guide was awesome. Really worth the visit!
Can only go in with tour guide, English only available after 4pm. Was not allowed to enter due to this, so can't say how good it was inside.
STOP 10.- THE MONASTERY OF ENCARNACIÓN.El monument to Lope de Vega deserves our attention. The upper base is formed by a type of limestone with abundant Fossil called limestone reef. The shield is of white marble. You can locate coral fragments in longitudinal or transverse sections. The gaps are Filled with white calcite.
Very nice ancient monastery for royals. Only guided visits. One hour tour full of interesting stories from royal Spain.