Are you looking for what to do in Madrid?
Madrid sightseeing is dominated by fine art museums, stunning parks, lovely road, tapas bars and flamenco dinner shows. Definitely check out the Teleferico (the Madrid Cable Car), and the Royal Botanical Gardens. The most popular Madrid tourist attractions, in descending order, are:Historical Places to visit in Madrid
- Plaza Mayor Madrid:
- Royal Palace Of Madrid Or Palacio Real – Once the palace used to be the residence of royal palace. However, now only few rooms are open for public visit which you can see.
- Templo De Debod – Visit this ancient Egyptian temple dating back to 2nd century BC which was rebuilt in Madrid.
- Plaza De Cibeles: The Plaza de Cibeles is a heritage architecture and historical site of the province of Madrid. The site consists of four separate buildings and the famous fountain known as the Cibeles Fountain.
- El Escorial:
- Almudena Cathedral: King Alfonso XII and his wife Maria Mercedes de Orleans Borbon are buried below the Virgin’s statue here.
- Plaza De La Villa – It is one of the prettiest sites of Madrid, located right at the historic center of the city. Visit this place to see many other important heritage buildings of Madrid.
- Museo Del Prado Or Prado Museum – Wish to see the best collection of Spanish Art? Prado Museum is your answer. It displays only fraction of its art collection which is around 1300. Imagine how much its actual collection is!
- Parque Del Retiro Or Retiro Park – One of the popular hangout places in Madrid which is always crowded with street performers like painters, musicians, jugglers, dancers and of course the travelers.
- Museo Nacional Del Prado – This museum is considered as the top most art galleries in the world. It house artworks by some of the famous personalities like Goya, Bosch, Rubens, Raphael and Velazquez.
- Thyssen - Bornemisza Museum – Besides the Prado and the Sofia, another name got famous was Thyssen. It displays artwork belong to both impressionistic and post impressionistic work.
- Queen Sofia Arts Center Or Museo Nacional Centro – Visit this one of the top European art centers which used to be an old hospital.
- Sorolla Museum – Previously used to be the residence of early 20th century painter Sorolla which has now been turned into a museum.
- Rerina Sofia Museum:
- Gran Via – If you are a true shopaholic by heart, then you cannot give a miss to this place.
- El Rastro Madrid: If shopping is one of your favourite pass times, then this place will be able to satisfy you. It is because of the fact that, it is one of the biggest and most popular flea markets in the city of Madrid and also in Spain.
- Mercado De San Miguel:
- Casa De Campo: Two popular attractions within the park are an amusement park and the city zoo! Closeby is also the Madrid arena.
- Madrid Cable Car – If you wish to see the best view of Madrid, hop on a cable car that let you see the city in the best way. The car takes you into Casa de Campo.
- Zoo Aquarium de Madrid - 6000 animals covering 500 species! Considering that they’re all so exotic, they’re all celebrities really, but some are more so than others (sorry, but sexless giant pandas will always win out, even if they do no king-fu whatsoever).
Below we have a list of things to do in Madrid and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Madrid getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Madrid with confidence.