Alagar KoyilCurrently Closed
- Address: Solaimalai Hill, Madurai 625001, India
- Timings: 06:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-4522470228
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
This depicts the legendary story of a sage (Suthapas) who ignored a Maharishi while he was taking a bath in the river and was cursed by the Maharishi to take the form of a Frog, forms the historic story of the temple.
The Sage would only be free of the cruse after getting blessed by Lord Sundararajar (known as Kallazhakar).The sage offered his deepest prayers to the Lord which made the god ascend to the earth, to the place the temple stands on.
- Beautiful rock-cut architecture with larger than life Gopuram and rock pillars which support the Mandapam (hall)
- Main Shrine which is always closed except for 1 day every year when the Sudarshana Chakra of lord Vishnu passes over the open door
- Remove shoes before entering the temple shrine.
- Photography: INR 50
- Other prices are applicable as per the offerings you decide to give at the temple. Visit the official website for more information.
- Morning: 6.00 am to 12.30 pm
- Evening 3.30 pm to 8.00 pm
- Hire an Auto-rickshaw.
- Hire a Taxi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Madurai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Madurai and book an accommodation of your choice.
57.6% of people who visit Madurai include Alagar Koyil in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
36.62% of people start their Alagar Koyil visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Alagar Koyil
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Alagar Koyil