Events and Festivals in Madurai
Festivals and events in Madurai add shine to the city with its many colors and beautiful music and rituals.
- January: Jallikattu- afestivalwhen a bull and man fight. Spectators gather to see the bull taming sight. The festival coincides with Pongal.
- January: ThaiPongal is the main harvest festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu to thank the Sun. The festival celebrationsare carried out for 3 days;1st day is when houses are de-cluttered, 2nd day when the celebration and decorations are done, and the 3rd day (called MattuPongal) is the day when cattle’s are worshipped to maintain prosperity and abundance.
- April- May: The Chitra Festival or MeenakshiTirukalyanam festival which takes place over 10 days including a procession on the 9thday and the celestial wedding on the 10th day. Day 11 and 12 are known for their chariot rides across the city and the famous Float procession.
- Thepottsavam (float festival) is celebrated through out the city when the idols of the temples are decorated and taken in procession through the premises of theirindependenttemple.
- September: AvaniThiruvizhaincludes the celebration of coronation of Lord Sundareswarar (Shiva). Plays are arranged showcasing the 64 miracles which Shiva performed to save the city of Madurai.
- September- October: Navratri is celebrated by devotees offering 9 types of cooked rice and nine varieties of flowers at temples. The festival is one of the best times to visit the Meenakshi Temple.
Trip plans for Madurai
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Madurai
Madurai Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Madurai
Save 6%Full-Day Tour of MaduraiNew on TripHobo
Duration: 6 Hrs
One of the oldest and continuously inhabited cities in the world. Madurais history goes back to 3rd century. Dominated by sev...
Evening Foodie Tour in MaduraiNew on TripHobo
Duration: 3 Hrs
Foodies will love this evening tour which will take you through the bustling Madurai street food scene. Go to several popular...Book Now
Day Trip to Rameswaram and Dhanushkodi from MaduraiNew on TripHobo
Duration: 13 Hrs
Want free from your sins and solve all the problems in your life? Then its time to visit Rameswaram. The city is separated fr...Book Now
Day trip to Periyar Wildlife Sanctury from MaduraiNew on TripHobo
Duration: 12 Hrs
Experience the beauty and serenity of nature at Periyar Tiger Reserve is a globally renowned tourism destination providing un...Book Now
- Events & Festivals in Thiruparankundram
- Events & Festivals in Tirumangalam
- Events & Festivals in Melur
- Events & Festivals in Usilampatti Taluk
- Events & Festivals in Natham
- Events & Festivals in Kodai Road