Events and Festivals in Madurai, India
Events and Festivals in Madurai
Festivals and events in Madurai add shine to the city with its many colors and beautiful music and rituals.
- January: Jallikattu- afestivalwhen a bull and man fight. Spectators gather to see the bull taming sight. The festival coincides with Pongal.
- January: ThaiPongal is the main harvest festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu to thank the Sun. The festival celebrationsare carried out for 3 days;1st day is when houses are de-cluttered, 2nd day when the celebration and decorations are done, and the 3rd day (called MattuPongal) is the day when cattle’s are worshipped to maintain prosperity and abundance.
- April- May: The Chitra Festival or MeenakshiTirukalyanam festival which takes place over 10 days including a procession on the 9thday and the celestial wedding on the 10th day. Day 11 and 12 are known for their chariot rides across the city and the famous Float procession.
- Thepottsavam (float festival) is celebrated through out the city when the idols of the temples are decorated and taken in procession through the premises of theirindependenttemple.
- September: AvaniThiruvizhaincludes the celebration of coronation of Lord Sundareswarar (Shiva). Plays are arranged showcasing the 64 miracles which Shiva performed to save the city of Madurai.
- September- October: Navratri is celebrated by devotees offering 9 types of cooked rice and nine varieties of flowers at temples. The festival is one of the best times to visit the Meenakshi Temple.
Trip plans for Madurai
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Madurai
Madurai Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Madurai
Save 6%Athens of the East, A day Spend Touring Madurai New on TripHobo
Duration: 6 Hrs
Spend your day touring Madurai, known as the Athens of the East, it is famous for its temples. It is one of India's most popu...
Save 9%Heritage Walking Tour of Madurai with Private Transfer New on TripHobo
Duration: 2 Hrs 30 Mins
Madurai is the oldest city in South India and a place of great historical importance. Madurai has been a flourishing market t...
Day Tour to Chettinad Heritage Town from Tiruchirappalli New on TripHobo
Duration: 9 Hrs
Discover indigenous arts and local street's during this cultural tour of The Chettinad region, It is most popular and adored ...Book Now
Visit: Meenakshi Amman Temple, Thirumalai Nayakkar Palace and Gandhi Museum in Madurai New on TripHobo
Duration: 6 Hrs
Experience the spectacular ancient southern city which has earned the sobriquet, 'Athens of the East,' one of the great histo...Book Now
- Events & Festivals in Munnar
- Events & Festivals in Coimbatore
- Events & Festivals in Kollam
- Events & Festivals in Ernakulam
- Events & Festivals in Varkala
- Events & Festivals in Alleppey
- Events & Festivals in Trivandrum
- Events & Festivals in Yercaud
- Events & Festivals in Coonoor
- Events & Festivals in Agra
- Events & Festivals in Leh
- Events & Festivals in Mumbai
- Events & Festivals in Delhi
- Events & Festivals in Amritsar
- Events & Festivals in Chennai