How to Reach Madurai
The Easiest Way to Reach Madurai
- By Air: The Madurai Airport is located 15 kilometers away from the city. There are direct flights from Chennai to Madurai. The airport is also connected to some of the major cities in India by Domestic flights.
- Direct International flights are connected to Colombo, Sri Lanka and Dubai.
- By Train: Madurai, like most of India, is well connected to major cities like Bangalore, Chennai (distance of 450 kilometers), Delhi, and Mumbai via the Indian Railway.
- By Bus: Sate run busses as well as private bus services connectthecity of Madurai to neighboring major cities. Busses are also available to reach important neighboring states of Kerala (Ernakulam, Trivandram) and Karnataka(Bangalore, Mysore).
- Inter state overnight busses mainly depot at Mattuthavani Bus stand while Private busses are found close to Periyar bus stand.
- By Car: You can reach Madurai through national highways NH-7, NH-45B, and NH-49.
- By Boat: Few ferries operate form Chennai (450 kilometers) and Tuticorin (160 kilometers).
- By Bus: Busses are budget-friendly and the most preferred way to get around the city.
- There are four main stands in the city; Periyar is used for private busses. Mattuthavani Bus stand used for long distance travel (useful if you want to travel to other states or outskirts), Complex Bust Stand (to travel to Airport or Rock Temple), Arappalayam Bus Stand to explore the villages and areas to the north-west or west of the city.
- By Auto-Rickshaws: Auto rickshaws are preferred as long as you can bargain. There is no meter rate system in Madurai and you have to negotiate a price before travelling.
- By Car: If you don’t mind the traffic then you can rent a car and explore the city’s limits. Be aware of over priced negotiations.
- Taxi: Taxis are commonly found and you can book one form your hotel too.
Explore the route planner online for your visit to Madurai and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Modes of Transportation in Madurai
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Madurai. The most preferred mode of transport in Madurai is Bike.
Average distance: 39.83 km Average time: 55 min
Bike 25%Bike 65 min Overall average time for 18 kms 65 min
Car 25%Driving 60 min Walking 30 min Overall average time for 100 kms 90 min
Motorbike 25%Motorbike 10 min Overall average time for 1.5 kms 10 min
- How to reach Cities Near Madurai
- How to reach Keelakkarai
- How to reach Kattakkada
- How to reach Kuttanad Taluk
- How to reach Chennithala
- How to reach Thingalur
- How to reach Venjaramoodu
- How to reach Pullazhi
- How to reach Iringaprom
- How to reach Thalappara
- How to reach Mulanthuruthy
- How to reach Andami
- How to reach Booluvampatti
- How to reach Cities around the world
- How to reach Menton
- How to reach Prospect Park
- How to reach Cambridge
- How to reach Escondido
- How to reach Korman'
- How to reach Portimão
- How to reach Black Creek
- How to reach Blanchard
- How to reach Eugene
- How to reach Hanoi