How to Reach Madurai, India
The Easiest Way to Reach Madurai
- By Air: The Madurai Airport is located 15 kilometers away from the city. There are direct flights from Chennai to Madurai. The airport is also connected to some of the major cities in India by Domestic flights.
- Direct International flights are connected to Colombo, Sri Lanka and Dubai.
- By Train: Madurai, like most of India, is well connected to major cities like Bangalore, Chennai (distance of 450 kilometers), Delhi, and Mumbai via the Indian Railway.
- By Bus: Sate run busses as well as private bus services connectthecity of Madurai to neighboring major cities. Busses are also available to reach important neighboring states of Kerala (Ernakulam, Trivandram) and Karnataka(Bangalore, Mysore).
- Inter state overnight busses mainly depot at Mattuthavani Bus stand while Private busses are found close to Periyar bus stand.
- By Car: You can reach Madurai through national highways NH-7, NH-45B, and NH-49.
- By Boat: Few ferries operate form Chennai (450 kilometers) and Tuticorin (160 kilometers).
- By Bus: Busses are budget-friendly and the most preferred way to get around the city.
- There are four main stands in the city; Periyar is used for private busses. Mattuthavani Bus stand used for long distance travel (useful if you want to travel to other states or outskirts), Complex Bust Stand (to travel to Airport or Rock Temple), Arappalayam Bus Stand to explore the villages and areas to the north-west or west of the city.
- By Auto-Rickshaws: Auto rickshaws are preferred as long as you can bargain. There is no meter rate system in Madurai and you have to negotiate a price before travelling.
- By Car: If you don’t mind the traffic then you can rent a car and explore the city’s limits. Be aware of over priced negotiations.
- Taxi: Taxis are commonly found and you can book one form your hotel too.
Are you looking for a Madurai travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Madurai
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Madurai. The most preferred mode of transport in Madurai is Bike.
Average distance: 39.83 km Average time: 55 min
Bike 25%Bike 65 min Overall average time for 18 kms 65 min
Car 25%Driving 60 min Walking 30 min Overall average time for 100 kms 90 min
Motorbike 25%Motorbike 10 min Overall average time for 1.5 kms 10 min
How to Reach Madurai from Nearby Cities
|Virudhunagar to Madurai||20.82 km||20 mins|
|Sattur to Madurai||26.89 km||26 mins|
|Sivakasi to Madurai||35.84 km||35 mins|
|Srivilliputhur to Madurai||55.38 km||55 mins|
|Karaikudi to Madurai||73.32 km||1 hour 13 mins|
|Theni to Madurai||77.74 km||1 hour 17 mins|
|Kodaikanal to Madurai||118.03 km||2 hours 18 mins|
- How to reach Munnar
- How to reach Coimbatore
- How to reach Kollam
- How to reach Ernakulam
- How to reach Trivandrum
- How to reach Varkala
- How to reach Alleppey
- How to reach Yercaud
- How to reach Ooty
- How to reach Agra
- How to reach Leh
- How to reach Mumbai
- How to reach Delhi
- How to reach Amritsar
- How to reach Chennai