How to Reach Madurai
- By Air: The Madurai Airport is located 15 kilometers away from the city. There are direct flights from Chennai to Madurai. The airport is also connected to some of the major cities in India by Domestic flights.
- Direct International flights are connected to Colombo, Sri Lanka and Dubai.
- By Train: Madurai, like most of India, is well connected to major cities like Bangalore, Chennai (distance of 450 kilometers), Delhi, and Mumbai via the Indian Railway.
- By Bus: Sate run busses as well as private bus services connectthecity of Madurai to neighboring major cities. Busses are also available to reach important neighboring states of Kerala (Ernakulam, Trivandram) and Karnataka(Bangalore, Mysore).
- Inter state overnight busses mainly depot at Mattuthavani Bus stand while Private busses are found close to Periyar bus stand.
- By Car: You can reach Madurai through national highways NH-7, NH-45B, and NH-49.
- By Boat: Few ferries operate form Chennai (450 kilometers) and Tuticorin (160 kilometers).
- By Bus: Busses are budget-friendly and the most preferred way to get around the city.
- There are four main stands in the city; Periyar is used for private busses. Mattuthavani Bus stand used for long distance travel (useful if you want to travel to other states or outskirts), Complex Bust Stand (to travel to Airport or Rock Temple), Arappalayam Bus Stand to explore the villages and areas to the north-west or west of the city.
- By Auto-Rickshaws: Auto rickshaws are preferred as long as you can bargain. There is no meter rate system in Madurai and you have to negotiate a price before travelling.
- By Car: If you don’t mind the traffic then you can rent a car and explore the city’s limits. Be aware of over priced negotiations.
- Taxi: Taxis are commonly found and you can book one form your hotel too.