Are you looking for what to do in Madurai?
PLACES TO SEE
- Meenakshi Amman Temple: Located along the banks of VaigaiRiver, the temple is the highlight of the city and welcomes pilgrims and devotees from all over the country.
- ThirumalainNayakkarMahal: The Palace of ThirumalaiNayak who ruled Madurai between 1623 and 1659 is known for its stunning architecture.
- KoodalAzhagar Temple: An ancient holy temple of Lord Vishnu known for its classic architecture and spiritual ambience.
- Gandhi Memorial Museum: A museum which hold some of the best historic articles including the letter written by Gandhi to Adolf Hitler.
Nightlife: You can find a few bars and Pubs in the city but the nightlife in Madurai is more about shopping and visiting famous tourist attractions.
Shopping: Shopping remains the favorite evening activity for tourists. You can choose from buying traditional clothes, metal articles, and exquisite jewelry to simply enjoy window-shopping through the streets of Madurai. The famous SungidiSarees are a must-buy when you visit the city.
- AvaniMula Street: A good place to buy jewelry and ornaments.
- Pudumandapam: A 500 hundred year old place where you can buy locally made products like bronze articles, books, and handicrafts.
- Co-optex Madurai Handloom Saris: Known for their handloom traditional wear, do stop by at the place to buy cotton and silk saris.
- Selvi Book Shop: The book shop is known for its vast collection of books by foreign authors.
Below we have a list of things to do in Madurai and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Madurai getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Madurai with confidence.