How to Reach Mahabalipuram
The city of Mahabalipuram is well-connected with different parts of India via several modes of transport. The roads and in good condition and are ideal even if you are traveling by your own vehicle.
So, when it comes to how to reach Mahabalipuram, here are the ways
- By Plane: The nearest airport from Mahabalipuram is in Chennai and is a little more than 50 kilometers away. All the major Indian cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, and Kolkatta have direct flights to Chennai. You will get a taxi or a bus outside the Chennai airport that will directly take you to Mahabalipuram in an hour or so. Taking a one-way cab should not cost more than INR 800 to 900.
- By Train: You can also reach Mahabalipuram by train and the nearest railway station is Chengalpattu. It is only 22 kilometers away but is not connected to all the major cities. You can take a train to Chennai and then opt for a cab/taxi from there. Negotiate the cab fares before starting your journey and make sure you are not paying more than the decided amount.
- By Bus: Taking a bus to reach Mamallapuram from Chennai is probably the cheapest way. There are several Tamil Nadu Public Transport buses as well as private tourist buses around Mahabalipuram. But, keep in mind that only some buses will take you to the center of Mahabalipuram and others will drop you outside the city.
- Auto Rickshaw: The city has a good network of auto-rickshaws that helps you cover all the major points in the town easily. Make sure that you are paying according to government-approved rates and bargain if needed.
- Bike-Rentals: If you have a valid driving license, then renting a bike is affordable than using a rickshaw. The town is small and has paid parking areas.
- On Foot: If you are planning to visit only major tourist points in Mahabalipuram, then you can consider exploring the city on foot. But, make sure that you are physically fit.