Visit Maheshwar - Best of Maheshwar
Maheshwar has a lot of culture and history associated with it. Today, it stands as a humble little town in the state of Madhya Pradesh, but has enjoyed the status of an extremely royal region in the past. Known as the capital of Maratha Empire during the reign of the famous Queen- Ahilyabai Holkar, Maheshwar welcomes any traveller that wishes to explore it with open arms. A gem in the invaluable jewellery of Madhya Pradesh Tourism, Maheshwar has a beautiful fort and various little temples to offer to you. Most of the architecture here is dated back to the reign of the famous Queen that ruled the Kingdom and had a very strong affinity towards beautiful temples. The work of the Maratha workmen is extremely intricate and distinct in terms of its simplicity. Maheshwar is also gifted with the lovely Narmada Ghat, where various people flock to find tranquillity and moments of peace. The aartis in the temples here reaches your heart directly and the feeling of devotion is present in the air of Maheshwar. Many architectural students from all over the country here are taken to study the intricate details of the temples here, but the silk here is of the top most quality. Maheshwari Sarees have carved a niche for themselves in the vast world of Sarees and are sold in innumerable quantities all over the World. Visit not only to add colors and class to your wardrobe but to expand the horizon of your mind by witnessing the simplicity that roams around in the air of the city.
Maheshwar Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Maheshwar tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC + 5.30 hours
- Currency: INR (Indian National Rupee)
- Languages: Hindi is the main language spoken in Maheshwar. Most people will know basic English. You will also find native speakers of Gujarati, Urdu and Marathi here.
- Off-beaten Path: Attend an aarti near the Narmada Ghat.
Electricity and Internet:
- Voltage is 240 Volts with a 50 Hz frequency.
- High speed internet is available at most hotels. 4G mobile internet has just been launched in India.
- Police: 100
- Ambulance: 108
- Fire Brigade: 101
- Women’s Helpline: 109
- Tipping is applicable as per your wish. A ten rupee note for services would suffice.
- When travelling by Rickshaws, you can round up the bill.
- A small tip at local eateries will be appreciated and even for helpers at the hotel. Keep a lot of notes of 10/- to tip people.
- Do not go alone with anybody to buy anything.
- Women should avoid getting out post dark alone.
- Be dressed a little conservatively as the city is not very modern.
- Temples are considered a holy place and you will need to remove footwear before entering.
- Dress conservatively or at least modestly.
- Greeting people with a small ‘Namaste’ will be appropriate. Addressing an old aunty as “Mausi”, and men Bhaiya would take you a long way. Smiling would also get you a great service in return.
Are you looking for a Maheshwar travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!