Gutenberg Museum, Mainz
About Gutenberg Museum, Mainz
Gutenberg Museum, Mainz - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Liebfrauenstraße 5, 55116 Mainz, Germany
Ticket Price: 5 EUR
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 5.5K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, History Museum, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Specialty Museum
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Gutenberg revolutionized the printing word with his invention. Housed in a Renaissance building with a lavishly decorated façade, mostly explores the history of typesetting. Highlights of the museum are:
- To Gutenberg Bibles.
- Examples of printing from the 15th century to present.
- Exhibits on bookbinding, paper manufacturing, and typographic techniques from both Western and Eastern technologies.
- A manuscript department explaining the development of writing.
- The Gutenberg print shop (Druckladen), which is a living workshop where you can manually re-create Gutenberg printing techniques.
Gutenberg Museum Information
- iPhone users can download the Museum app for visitor information, an audio guide and interactive room maps.
- Check out the museum shop.
Gutenberg Museum Ticket Prices
- EUR 2 for 8-18 years old.
- EUR 3 for students and disabled people.
How To reach Gutenberg Museum by Public Transport
- Tram 50, 51, and 52 from Schillerplatz
Restaurants Near Gutenberg Museum
- Hintz & Kuntz
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Mainz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mainz and book an accommodation of your choice.
Gutenberg Museum, Mainz Reviews - Write a Review
Great staff, very prepared, passionate and helpful, the presentation (free of charge) gave us a totally new perception of the complexity of the printing process. A visit not to be missed, that alone is worth a visit to Mainz.
Amazing History Let Down by rude staff and bored children. This museum has some of the most important books of all time, it represents the start of the knowledge era. But not for young kids and 'my oh my how rude can staff get'! This museum should be an easy 5*. But not in its current form. PS don't even try to take a photo........
Wonderful museum about the history of Gutenberg, printing and (news) paper with the Gutenberg bibles. 3€ entrance fee for students - totally worth to spent some time there.
Staff are not friendly. There is no English version of the demonstration. They do not allow pictures. Even without flash. Waste of time. Go see the monument in front of the theatre in Mainz.
Nice museum but 50% of the explanation are in German only... Moreover there is a show in the basement but again it is in German only. You are not allowed to take photos so I can't upload any photos... I would have put 4 stars if I were German, but I'm not, 3 stars
- Nearby Attractions
- Gansmarkt Brunnen
- Mahnmal Der Deutschen Einheit
- Hotel Atrium Mainz
- Offener Bucherschrank / Offene Bibliothek Mainz
- Haus Mainusch
- Mainzer Unterwelten E.v.
- Mainz Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Mainz
- What to See in 48 Hours in Mainz
- What to See in 72 Hours in Mainz
- How to Spend 5 Days in Mainz
- How to Spend 6 Days in Mainz
- How to Spend 7 Days in Mainz