Landes MuseumCurrently Open [Closes at 08:00 pm]
- Address: Große Bleiche 49-51, 55116 Mainz, Germany
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-613128570
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museum, Museum, History Museum
Landes Museum - Review
This is art and history museum is one of Germany’s oldest. The connection here was started in 1803 when Napoleon and Chaptal donated paintings to the city. The collection, though not the most popular, is extremely well presented. That alone makes the museum worthwhile. The collections are divided as follows:
- The prehistoric and Roman department – a 23000 year old statue.
- Prince Johann Georg Collection - Byzantine and Egyptian relics.
- The medieval department.
- The Renaissance painting department.
- Baroque paintings, sculptures and furniture.
- 18th and 19th century paintings - contains one painting by Pablo Picasso.
- A medieval Jewish gravestone section.
- A collection of art nouveau glass and Hoechst porcelain.
Landes Museum Information
- iPhone users can download the Museum app for visitor information, an audio guide and interactive room maps.
- There is an audio guide for the visually impaired.
- Disabled accessible; wheelchair on loan.
- Check out the museum shop and the museum bistro.
Landes Museum Ticket Prices
- EUR 5 for students, retirees, military duty, community service, unemployed, disabled.
- EUR 3 for 6-18 years old.
- Free for under 6.
- Check the website for further price details.
How To reach Landes Museum by Public Transport
- Tram 50, 51, and 52 at Munsterplatz.
Restaurants Near Landes Museum
- Burger King
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Mainz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mainz and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Landes Museum
45.5% of people who visit Mainz include Landes Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
52.31% of people start their Landes Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Landes Museum
92.06% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Landes Museum
Landes Museum Trips
Landes Museum, Mainz Reviews
Magnificent collection organized by historical period and theme. I don't have a basis of comparison against other European galleries, but the baroque section was unlike anything I've seen at many major US city museums. Well worth the trip.
It was good for people who likes the history. Lots of paintings, statues. They offer route guide map and there are cloak rooms also.
Nice Disney exhibit. A little pricey...but enjoyable if you like Disney.
The main reason I went was to view an exhibition of a group of artists who specialize in Urban landscapes. This was in connection with an art course the Museum was sponsoring.
I had the good fortune to visit your exhibit on ground floor of the landesmuseum in early September. The exhibit was beautifully arranged and held special objects; I appreciated the extra information provided for each piece and the general overall historical information. In addition, your Mr. Peter Beck took the time to show me interesting pieces in the room of the Roman gravestones.H e was extremely knowledgeable on details of these treasures and on the general history of the Roman time in Germany. His discussion made my visit not only a pleasurable but educational experience. I hope that your local schools take advantage of your extraordinary trove of historical art!