Mainz CathedralCurrently Open
- Address: Markt 10, 55116 Mainz, Germany, 55116
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-6131253412
- Ticket Price: 5 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Museums, Walking Area, Historical Site, Monument, Statue, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral , Specialty Museums, Landmarks, Community And Government, Organizations And Associations
This mighty Romanesque Roman Catholic cathedral is 1000 years old, though it did burn down seven times over the course of the centuries. It famously contains old funeral monuments and works of art spanning the last millennium. It is mostly constructed of sandstone. Over the years seven Gothic and Baroque additions were made. Amazingly the cathedral survived the WWII Allied bombings of Mainz. The highlights are as follows:
- The two chancels.
- The high main nave.
- The Gothic the corrective chapels and their windows.
- Rococo car stalls Kia Chayanne.
- The cathedral crypt which is 1000 years old, and contains a gourd reliquary.
- altar to the Virgin Mary in the Ketteler Chapel.
Also inside the cathedral is the diocese museum, which contains works of religious art such as paintings and sculptures from the last two thousand years. These include medieval stone monuments, a gallery of 60 religious masterpiece paintings, and the chapel of St. Nicolas.
Mainz Cathedral Travel Tips
- Food and drinks not allowed.
- Smoking not allowed.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Shorts miniskirts hats not allowed.
- Filming and photography only for private purposes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Mainz Cathedral
- EUR 3.50 age of 60, pupils, students, military and civil service, unemployed, disabled people with ID, groups of 10 people.
- Free for Children under 8, students of art history at the Universities of Mainz and Frankfurt, ICOM members.
Mainz Cathedral Hours
- Tue to Sat 09:00 am to 05:00 pm.
- Sun 11:00 am to 03:00 pm.
- Aposto Mainz GmbH
- Cafe Extrablatt
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Mainz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mainz and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Mainz include Mainz Cathedral in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
74.52% of people start their Mainz Cathedral visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Mainz Cathedral
59.14% of people prefer walking in order to reach Mainz Cathedral