Are you looking for what to do in Male?
WHAT TO SEE
- Maldives National Defense Force HQ: The Maldives was once under an authoritarian and control-crazy ruler. Today this building stands as testament to a recently changed time. Don’t take photographs of it as it is not permitted.
- Friday Mosque: For those who are Muslim, they can visit freely this mosque that was constructed in the mid-17th century. There are beautiful ornaments and Arabic scripts inside that you should visit.
- Sultan Park and National Museum: The once glorious palace of the Sultanate was all but destroyed. This building and park is all that is left, and today houses a museum of the country’s early history. Definitely a thoroughly informative part of Male sightseeing! So visit the destination and take a walk through history and time itself.
- Islamic Centre: Jumhooree Maidhaan is the main square of Male, and south of it is its main building, the Islamic Centre. Unlike the mosque, visitors are welcome to see the 5,000 capacity inside.
- Hulhule Island Hotel: The only place visitors will find alcohol in Male is at the Hulhule Island Hotel. The Sunni Muslim culture follows a few strict rules, so visitors will find things like alcohol and pork banned. Club Rannalhi: Club Rannalhi and Club Faru are well known clubs that are famous amongst both locals and tourists. The clubs are a fun and innovative way to relax.
- Shopping: Besides random shops in the street, the best place to check out is the Male Market, where vendors pester until they make a sell. The Fish Market is also a necessary place to check out, if for nothing else than to feel the economic and cultural importance of the place. For those who are interested in seeing supermarkets, the State Trading Organization offers cheap products imported from largest South Asian countries.
Below we have a list of things to do in Male and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Male getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Male with confidence.