Devil's Postpile National Monument311 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Devil's Postpile Parking, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +1-7609342289
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Geological Formation, Park, Monument, Family And Kids
Located within the Devils Postpile National Monument are a handful of intriguing and enchanting natural features.
- Devil's Postpile: A dark cliff columnar basalt rock formations more than 100 meters thick, sixty feet long, formed by a cooling lava flow less than 100,000 years ago.
- Some of them have hexagonal shapes.
- Rainbow Falls: The highest waterfall on the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River, 31 meters high, that creates rainbows in the mists of its own water.
- Reds Meadow Resort Campground: The most popular campground in the area. Using the Reds Meadow/Devils Postpile Shuttle to get between the two locations is mandatory.
- San Joaquin River: Swelling and waning with the seasons, this river is lifeblood of the monument area. There are lots of picnic and fishing spots along its length.
- There are 20 spots on the Monument campground.
In addition to its wild natural beauty the monument also has a diverse wildlife: trout in the river, and over 100 species of birds and mammals.
Devil's Postpile National Monument Travel Tips
- There are extensive rules for bringing pets into the park on the NPS website. Heed them.
- Visit the Devils Postpile National Monument NPS website for extensive details on safety, camping, and permits.
- Bikes are not allowed on the trails.
Entrance Ticket Details For Devil's Postpile National Monument
Reds Meadow Shuttle bus tickets at Mammoth Mountain Adventure Center:
- $7.00 for adults.
- $4.00 for children over the age of 3.
- children 2 and under are free.
- Campsites: USD 20/night
Devil's Postpile National Monument Hours
- The Devils Postpile National Monument is only open during the summer months beween mid-June - mid-October.
- Closed Mid-October to Mid June.
- Peak crowds are in August.
- The Reds Meadow Shuttle bus runs at least every hour during the day time, and usually every 20 or 30 minutes.
How to Reach Devil's Postpile National Monument
- Drive to the parking lot, and then use the shuttle, or hike or bike.
- Take the shuttle from Mammoth Adventure Center and The Village at Mammoth.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Mammoth Lakes before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mammoth Lakes and book an accommodation of your choice.
81.2% of people who visit Mammoth Lakes include Devil's Postpile National Monument in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
72.5% of people start their Devil's Postpile National Monument visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 8 Hrs to see Devil's Postpile National Monument
89.58% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Devil's Postpile National Monument