Hot Creek Geological Site194 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Hot Creek Hatchery Rd, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546, United States Map
- Timings: 06:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7608732400
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Geological Formation, Family And Kids
The Long Valley Caldera may no longer be erupting but it is by no means dormant. Just check out this landscape of vividly blue boiling water, geysers, fumaroles and craters; listen to all the hissing, whistling and popping. The heated water here is rising from almost three miles underground, kept from boiling by high pressure even though it is 200 degrees Celsius, coming to the surface after a thousand years underground. Be aware that you’re not allowed to dip into the water as the temperatures fluctuate wildly. The stream itself starts out cold, at around 10 degrees Celsius, and then progressively becomes scalding hot. Walk the short interpretive trails that explains the geothermal activities here.
Hot Creek Geological Site Travel Tips
- Camping at this site is not allowed.
- Parking is available.
Hot Creek Geological Site Hours
- Actual timings for this viewpoint are from sunrise to sunset.
How to Reach Hot Creek Geological Site
- By Car
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Mammoth Lakes before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mammoth Lakes and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Hot Creek Geological Site Address: Hot Creek Hatchery Rd, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546, United States
- Hot Creek Geological Site Contact Number: +1-7608732400
- Hot Creek Geological Site Timing: 06:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Best time to visit Hot Creek Geological Site(preferred time): 06:00 am - 02:00 pm
- Time required to visit Hot Creek Geological Site: 03:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
29.39% of people who visit Mammoth Lakes include Hot Creek Geological Site in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
70.37% of people start their Hot Creek Geological Site visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Hot Creek Geological Site
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Hot Creek Geological Site
People normally club together Convict Lake and Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center while planning their visit to Hot Creek Geological Site.