This lava dome, 3,371 meters high, formed in eruptions about 110-57 thousand years ago, is the sole reason the town below exists. Its alpine skiing area is the highest in California, and said to be among the finest in the world, criss-crossed trails for beginners and experts alike. This is thanks to the heavy snowfall it receives - about 400 inches annually.
The entire mountain has accordingly been turned into a state of the art skiing resort. There are multiple lodging options on the mountain. You can schedule skiing lessons. With a phone call, have a complete skiers kit ready for you and leave your own at home.
A quick breakdown of the other highlights of the mountain:
- Woolly’s Tube Park: Six high-speed snow tube lanes aimed at kids and families
- Eleven53 Interpretive Center and Summit: Take the Panorama Gondola up to this summit cafe, drinking in 360 degree views as you do. At the center you’ll also be able learn the history of the Sierra
- Other activities to indulge in include snowmobiling, snowboarding, guided tours of the mountain on Snowcats
- The Mammoth Rock and Bowl
- Indoor Golf
- Mammoth Mountain Bike Park: Cycling on the mountain slopes when there is no slow
- Check the Mammoth Mountain website for upcoming events, deals, maps, lodging, weather status, trail status and road conditions.
- It is best to book lift tickets online and in advance.
- Most of the official operations on Mammoth function between 8am and 4pm. The restaurants may stay open until later.
- Some of these facilities are only open during certain seasons.
- Take the lift up from Mountain Center at Mammoth.
- Take the lift up from Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge.
- Take the lift up from Eagle Lodge.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Mammoth Lakes before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mammoth Lakes and book an accommodation of your choice.
81.89% of people who visit Mammoth Lakes include Mammoth Mountain in their plan
5 PM - 6 PM
51.32% of people start their Mammoth Mountain visit around 5 PM - 6 PM
People usually take around 6 Hrs to see Mammoth Mountain
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mammoth Mountain
Fantastic Resort in America. Great ski runs with lots of Refreshments available on the hillside. Restrooms at the bottom and in the bars are clean. lots of parking and a good shuttle to get you from the village up to the mountain. Lots of other activities that you can do on the mountain as well. hot tubs available at some hotels and resorts. Definitely recommend coming here with friends and family.
I had never been to the Mammoth area other than in the winter. This year, I visited in the summertime and what an awesome time to be there! So much to do and so much to see... the area is BOOMING with activity. Take the gondola up the mountain, have lunch and walk a bit or hike or mountain bike back down - you won't be disappointed! Rent bicycles and ride around town. Shop. People watch. Hang out at the base of the mountain. Ride the trolley around town... so many options!
The best resort to ski/snowboard near LA. The snow quality is consistently some of the best in the United States. All of the staff I have encountered is very friendly, from the lift operators to the bars. While it is not the closest resort to LA, I promise you it is worth the drive.
Great skiing. Many times skied in shorts and a t-shirt. Sheets else can you do that except California. Long ski seasons. Not the best of snow but sometimes almost to mid summer. Great areas for snow mobiling. Very very expensive. Ski rings for just about everyone skill level. Amazing views. Fast lifts and many many. Busy season can make long lines though. Buy tickets at several locations at the base of the mountain. Go with lots of sunscreen. Make sure to have a map of newbie.
The most premier skiing and snowboarding facilities in CA. Former owner and Olympic gold medalist, Shaun White, frequents their half pipe on the reg. Mammoth usually has some of the freshest snow and best conditions you can find anywhere in the country. Come and get the pow pow.