A lot of festivals especially Buddhist ones grace the city of Mandalay. The festival calendar of Mandalay stays vibrant throughout the year.
- Thingyan Water Festival (April): This festival commences the new year in Myanmar and lasts for several days and is marked by major, casual water throwing.
- The Kason Festival (May): This is a Buddhist festival when the devotees visit pagodas to pour water on the sacred Bo Trees, a kind of tree under which Buddha is said to have attained Enlightenment.
- The Waso Festival(July): This festival commemorates the Buddha's first sermon and also marks the beginning of Buddhist Lent.
- Thadingyut Festival (Festival of Lights) in October: This festival is held on the full moon day of Thadingyut, and lasts for three days during which houses and streets are festively decorated and illuminated. This festival also marks the end of severe Buddhist Lent period.
- Elephant Dance Festival in October: This is one of the most fun festivals in Mandalay. It is celebrated with creating full size paper elephants, one black, one white, each with two men inside, as dance through inviting ceremonial crowds.
- November Tazaungdaing Festival in October: This festival is held on the full moon day of Tazaungmon, according to the Myanmar calendar and is observed with lighting and decorating houses and public buildings.