St. Aloysius ChapelCurrently Closed
- Address: Hampankatta, Mangaluru, Karnataka 575003, India
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +910-8242449728
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
St. Aloysius Chapel - Review
St. Aloysius Chapel or the chapel of Aloysius College is a Christian Chapel in Mangalore in the city of Karnataka in south-west India. The chapel is situated in the heart of Mangalore. It was built by Jesuit Missionaries in 1880 and the beautiful walls inside were done by the Italian painter Antonio Moscheni in 1899. During that time, the Italian Jesuits played a vital role in the development of education, culture, health and social wellness of the Mangalorean Catholic Community and thus was built the church. The St. Aloysius Chapel is so beautiful that it is often compared to the chapels of Rome. The unique feature of this place that makes it stand out among all other is that every inch of the interiors has been painted in an equally beautiful manner. The whole chapel, its name and even a major portion of its interior frescoes are dedicated to the life of Aloysius Gonzaga who spent all his life serving others.
The paintings include Aloysius as a child, Aloysius preaching the town folk, his first preaching session, etc. The sloping parts of the ceilings have paintings of different apostles who are being offered garlands by life size angels. Here, no two garlands have the same type of flowers and also paintings of sages. These include that of St. Thomas Apostle of India holding a spear in his hand, St. Francis of Assisi Patron of environmentalists, St. Peter Claver- Apostle of Negroes, Bl. Rudolf Aquaviva who had visited the court of Akhbar and St. John De Britto who was the first missionary to dress as a Sanyasi and was a Sanskrit scholar.
The paintings on the side walls are of two types- frescoes and canvases where Jesus has been depicted as the friend of children. This is the masterpiece among all. The other here include that of birth of Lord Jesus, Jesus being baptized by St. John the Baptist, the wedding feast at Cana and the crucifixion of the Lord. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Mangaluru Itinerary 3 Days.
St. Aloysius Chapel Information
- Maintain silence inside the chapel.
St. Aloysius Chapel Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
St. Aloysius Chapel Opening and Closing Hours
- The Recommended time to visit is during the daytime.
How To reach St. Aloysius Chapel by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Kammannugundi Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mangalore Central Train Junction.
- By Bus station: Trade Centre Bus Stop
Restaurants Near St. Aloysius Chapel
- Janta Delux Restaurant
- Utsav Restaurant
- Summer Place
- Fish Bowl Restaurant
- Punjabi Dhaba Restaurant
- Indraprastha Restaurant
- Nalapad Kadal
- Tandoori Terminus
- Taj Mahal Café
- Yuvraj Restaurant
- Manorama And Palimar Vegetarian Restaurant
- Kori Roti Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Mangaluru before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mangaluru and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting St. Aloysius Chapel
95% of people who visit Mangaluru include St. Aloysius Chapel in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
32.65% of people start their St. Aloysius Chapel visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see St. Aloysius Chapel
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting St. Aloysius Chapel
St. Aloysius Chapel Map
St. Aloysius Chapel Trips
St. Aloysius Chapel, Mangaluru Reviews
The chapel is a marvel worth beholding... Definitely a wonderful place to visit!! Wish they had Tridentine Mass here!
This Chapel is comparable with the Sistine chapel in Rome. The special beauty of the chapel is the wonderful series of paintings. The two types of paintings in the chapel are fresco on plaster and oil on canvas. The sloping portion of the ceiling has paintings of St Peter and the Crowing of the Cock, Saints Paul, Andrew, James, John, Thomas, Philip, Mathew, Bartholomew, Simon and Jude. The central row of paintings on the ceiling depicts the life of St Aloysius Gonzaga to whom the chapel is dedicated.
It's one of the Beautiful Church in Mangalore.Design of church is Fantastic.All Christian books & song Cd's available there. Large Parking area available
Very beautiful church with awesome paintings on the wall. It has a very peaceful and calm environment. It's very well maintained and is worth visiting.
Superb chapel nice architecture and painting s I have never seen in my life before
All QuestionsSt. aloysius chapel
- Chafariz Na Fragosela De Cima Em Viseu
- Fonte De Fragosela Em Viseu
- Pelourinho De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento Brasil Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Escultura Em Homenagem Ao Comendador José Nunes Martins Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca Do Outeiro Do Rato Em Carregal Do Sal
- Solar Dos Soares De Albergaria
- Casa Grande De Oliveira Do Conde Em Tondela
- Fonte De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Pelourinho De Alvarelhos Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca 1 Do Ameal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento à Independência De Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Penedo Da Víbora Em Carregal Do Sal
- Inscrições De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca De Santo Tisco Em Carregal Do Sal