St. Mary's IslandsCurrently Open
- Address: Malpe, Udupi, Mangalore, Karnataka, India, Mangaluru
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Island, Leisure, Family And Kids, Picnic Spot, Nature
St. Mary's Islands - Review
The St. Mary’s island is also known as Coconut Island. It is also called Thonsepar. It is a collection of four islands in the Arabian Sea off the coast of Malpe in Udupi, Karnataka. The sea is said to have been formed after numerous volcanic activities numerous years ago and the beach is made of the cold residue of the volcanoes and is basalt.
The history behind the name of the island is said to have been given by the famous explorer Vasco Da Gama. It is said that when he landed in India from Portugal he put a cross here as a mark and named this island as St. Mary’s Island.
The coast line is a place where you can get many types of beautiful sea shells of different colors, shapes, sizes and forms. The beach is very safe as it is surrounded by basaltic rocks and also is filled with security guards. This is another reason that makes it very popular apart from the rich natural beauty with lush green coconut plantations around. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Mangaluru Itinerary 3 Days.
St. Mary's Islands Information
- The recommended time to visit is during the daytime.
- Tips & Warnings: Cottages are available for a longer stay here.
How To reach St. Mary's Islands by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Kammannugundi Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mangalore Central Train Junction.
Restaurants Near St. Mary's Islands
- Pure Vegetarian Restaurant
- Krishna Dive in Family Restaurant
- Shetty Ice Creams
- Marine Food packers
- Salvista Restaurant
- City Lunch Home
- Chicken Tikka Halal
- New Cinema Restaurant
- Foodland Restaurant
- Janata Delux
- Bon Bon Bakery
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Mangaluru before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mangaluru and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting St. Mary's Islands
95% of people who visit Mangaluru include St. Mary's Islands in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
54.44% of people start their St. Mary's Islands visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see St. Mary's Islands
91.51% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting St. Mary's Islands
St. Mary's Islands Map
St. Mary's Islands Trips
St. Mary's Islands, Mangaluru Reviews
All QuestionsSt. mary's islands
- Christian Community Ministries
- Freedom Barkway
- Courageous Church
- Mulberry Fields And Community Garden
- Church Of The Living Waters
- Embry Hills Church Of Christ
- True Worship Christian
- Mt Vernon Baptist Academy
- Georgia Tech
- Dupree's Tavern
- Atlanta Bible Baptist Church
- Mason Betha Pastor
- Atlanta Beltline Westside Trail Adair Park