This small fishing village of Marken in the North Holland region in Netherlands, is as picturesque as a place can be. The first things that will strike you when you set foot in Marken, is the unique wooden houses and the local residents all dressed up in colourful traditional outfits. Originally located on an island, Marken has had its fair amount of disasters in its early days, with the regular floods the village has had to face. The residents then made an artificial hill for setting up their houses there to protect themselves from the water. Fishing became the main occupation here and slowly the village grew in size. Now, Marken proudly stands, showing off its history to all its visitors.
The main things that have attracted tourists over the years are Marken's signature houses and attires. The houses are all made of wood and have a very picture-perfect quality about it. The colours are all bright, not only on the outside, but also the decor inside. These houses, historically, were built on stilts and mounds. The other prominent feature of this village are the costumes that the people don, much to the delight of the visitors. Netherlands is known for its distinctive traditional clothing, and Marken is one of those villages that stands out on this account. For those looking for some fun things to do, dress up in one of them and go exploring the village. The experience will totally be worth it.
Essential travel information and Marken tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC+02:00 hours
- Currency: Euro
- Electricity and Internet: 230 Volts of electricity output. Highspeed wireless internet is available in most hotels in and around Marken.
- Languages: Dutch in primarily spoken in Marken. French and English are also spoken here.
- Security: For Police, Fire and Ambulance: 112
- Tipping: Tipping is not mandatory, but is appreciated in Marken.
- Customs: It is very common in Marken for the locals to dress up in their traditional costumes and walk around in the streets.