Visit Marseille - Best of Marseille
Imagine a city that is steeped with history and it’s amazing relics, surrounded by beautiful beaches, adorned by clear blue skies and blessed with warm sunshine all through the year. Sounds like the city of dreams? Well, Marseille is just that and so much more.
Prepare to be pleasantly surprised with this amazing city! Marseille has inspired many artistes, travelers and connoisseurs alike. Its incredible landscape with glorious mountains and 57 km of pure white sands is the stuff of fantasies. No wonder then that millions of tourists are enchanted by this French seductress every year.
The oldest and second most populated city in France is a mesmerizing mix of French uber chic and Grecian charm. Whether you prefer culture over commercialism or luxury over minimalism, Marseille will leave you speechless. Be prepared to fall in love with the cultural capital of Europe!
Marseille Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Marseille tips for your visit
- Time Zone: CET or Central Europe Time (+01:00 hours)
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Electricity & Internet: Voltage: 230 volts, 50 Hz. Primary socket type – include 2 pin ungrounded socket (Type C) and grounded two pin socket (Type E)
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. There are numerous Cafes providing free Wi-Fi to the tourists.
- Language: French is the official language in Marseille. However, only handful of people speaks English.
- The most important emergency number: 112
- Medical emergency: 15
- Police: 17
- Fire brigade: 18
- Social emergency: 115
- Abused children: 119
- Missing children: 116000
- For emergency calls for deaf and people with hearing problems: 114
- Service charges are already added in the restaurant bills. However, extra tips are accepted if you are satisfied with the service. The tip should not exceed over about ten percent of the total fare charge.
- It is extremely popular in all of Europe to smoke cigarettes, but there are an increasing number of restaurants which have "no smoking" signs posted or no-smoking sections. Marseille is by no means a smoke-free city.
- Do use a bicycle or an Electric bicycle to commute in Marseille. A great way to explore the hidden, non-touristy treasures.
- Do try the local drink made of aniseed called Pastis. Locals in Marseille swear by it!
- It is important to note that Marseille does have a notorious past that still haunts its streets. Don’t take your safety for granted.
- Pickpockets are most active on public transport vehicles metro, in crowded shops, shopping centres, food markets, and popular touristy places. Make sure to keep your money, documents, mobile phone safe and secure.
- Passports and travel documents should be kept in a safe place.
- Confirm cab charges before getting in to the cab.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Marseille and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Marseille- Know before you go to Marseille
Facts and Stats for Marseille*
Pollution Statistics in Marseille
Know the pollution level of Marseille before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 56.73 (Moderate)
Water Pollution 43.06 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 63.89 (High)
Unattended dirt and garbage 87.5 (Very High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 29.17 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 69.44 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 54.55 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 55.56 (Moderate)
Marseille: Crime and Safety
How safe is Marseille for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Marseille.
Burglary and Theft 60.16 (High)
Mugging and Robbery 64.84 (High)
Assault and Armed Robbery 67.58 (High)
Corruption and Bribery 70.63 (High)
Car Stealing 61.72 (High)
Robbery of Car belongings 68.65 (High)
Attacks 61.9 (High)
Drug offense 79.44 (High)
Safety walking alone during daylight 51.56 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during night 28.13 (Low)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 64.45 (High)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 38.89 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 74.21 (High)
Living in Marseille - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Marseille is 150.96 (Very High)
Safety Index 34.62 (Low)
Climate Index 92.76 (Very High)
Pollution Index 63.93 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 32.86 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 70.29 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 88.89 (Very High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 8.57 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 104.58 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Marseille
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Marseille
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.25 USD
International Movie per seat 12.33 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 39.22 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 121.29 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 109.3 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Marseille Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Marseille
Marseille Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Marseille
35 Reviews Duration: 9 Hrs
Explore picturesque medieval villages deep in the Provenal countryside on this 9-hour tour through the Luberon region from Ma...
USD 162.74Book Now
8 Reviews Duration: 4 Hrs
Make the perfect use of your time in port in Marseille by uncovering the magnificent Aix-en-Provence on this shore excursion!...
USD 87.77Book Now
5 Reviews Duration: 1 Hrs
Travel from your Avignon hotel to Marseille International Airport. Transfer services are available 24 hours a day, 6 days a w...
USD 57.4Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: Flexible
You will get the best solution to get the internet throughout your trip in France, with the rental of a personal WiFi hotspot...
USD 45.14Book Now
- Cities Near Marseille
- Aix-en-provence Tourism
- Toulon Tourism
- Arles Tourism
- Avignon Tourism
- Montpellier Tourism
- Menton Tourism
- Lardiers Tourism
- Plan-d'orgon Tourism
- Manduel Tourism
- Top cities from France
- Paris Tourism
- Angers Tourism
- Tours Tourism
- Reims Tourism
- Rennes Tourism
- Le Mans Tourism
- Saint-barthélemy-d'anjou Tourism
- Chambray-lès-tours Tourism
- Beaucaire Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Barcelona Tourism
- Simi Tourism
- Prairie Du Rocher Tourism
- Pollok Tourism