Abbey Of Saint Victor, Marseille
About Abbey Of Saint Victor, Marseille
Abbey Of Saint Victor, Marseille - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Place Saint-Victor, 13007 Marseille, France
Ticket Price: 2 EUR
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 9.6K times in trip plans
Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
After the Notre Dame, this will not feel comfortable – the church has obviously seen great damage. And yet, there is beauty in its wounds – the still standing church is made greater by its resilience to destruction. At first there was a quarry here, followed by a Hellenistic and then Christian burial site. When the Romans murdered Saint Victor on this spot in the 4th century AD, it became the location for a church about a century later in his name. Soon the monastery became a major religious centre. The 16th century saw it decline and its treasures parcelled away god knows where; a tragedy further inflicted by the French Revolution. The Revolution saw the monastery nearly razed and all it’s relics stripped. So what is there left for us to see?
- The solemnity of the building itself.
- Sarcophagi, altars and stained glass in the main church.
- A 14th century carving of Saint Victor.
- The Black Virgin
- The intricately decorated crypt.
Mysterious, pained, solemn yet majestic, the church will haunt your thoughts long after you’ve left it.
Visit France Itinerary 2 Weeks for an unforgettable France travel experience.
Abbey Of Saint Victor Information
- Check website for mass schedule.
Abbey Of Saint Victor Ticket Prices
- Entrance fee to crypts: 2 Euros
- For groups of 10 people or more: 1 Euro
Abbey Of Saint Victor Opening and Closing Hours
Given timings are for Basilica and crypts.
Open all days of the week.
- Saturday: 9:00am to 6:30pm
- Sunday: 9:00 am and 11:00am
- Monday–Friday: 9:00am to 6:30pm
- Saturday: 9:00am to 6:30pm
How To reach Abbey Of Saint Victor by Public Transport
- Bus No. 82, 82 S, 83 or City Navette till Theatre Stop.
- Bus 55, 60, 61, and 80 at stop Saint Victor.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
Abbey Of Saint Victor, Marseille Reviews - Write a Review
Well worth a visit to this fortified abbey church. Some beautiful stained glass. Check out the crypt as well. Good views from the square in front across the old port
Very historical place. Nice to know it was there for so long time.
Peaceful and spiritual place lovely friendly staff and congregation we visited quite a few times while in marseille the atmosphere and sense of peace draws you back
Fantastic Roman style abbey which crypt is from the 5th century.
The crypt is only 2 euro and very worth it. Super interesting historical site. Inscriptions in French and English.
- Nearby Attractions
- Parc Du Grand Seminaire
- Hôtel Carré Vieux Port Marseille
- Mercure Marseille Centre Vieux Port Hotel
- Montempô Marseille Centre Euromed
- Les 3 Palmes
- Le Prado
- La Porte De L'orient - Monument Aux Armees D'afrique
- Skatepark Du Prado
- Pathe Madeleine
- Marseille Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Marseille
- What to See in 48 Hours in Marseille
- What to See in 72 Hours in Marseille
- How to Spend 5 Days in Marseille
- How to Spend 6 Days in Marseille
- How to Spend 7 Days in Marseille