Abbey Of Saint VictorCurrently Closed
- Address: Place Saint-Victor, 13007 Marseille, France
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-496112260
- Ticket Price: 2 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
After the Notre Dame, this will not feel comfortable – the church has obviously seen great damage. And yet, there is beauty in its wounds – the still standing church is made greater by its resilience to destruction. At first there was a quarry here, followed by a Hellenistic and then Christian burial site. When the Romans murdered Saint Victor on this spot in the 4th century AD, it became the location for a church about a century later in his name. Soon the monastery became a major religious centre. The 16th century saw it decline and its treasures parcelled away god knows where; a tragedy further inflicted by the French Revolution. The Revolution saw the monastery nearly razed and all it’s relics stripped. So what is there left for us to see?
- The solemnity of the building itself.
- Sarcophagi, altars and stained glass in the main church.
- A 14th century carving of Saint Victor.
- The Black Virgin
- The intricately decorated crypt.
Mysterious, pained, solemn yet majestic, the church will haunt your thoughts long after you’ve left it.
Visit France Itinerary 2 Weeks for an unforgettable France travel experience.
- Check website for mass schedule.
- Entrance fee to crypts: 2 Euros
- For groups of 10 people or more: 1 Euro
Given timings are for Basilica and crypts.
Open all days of the week.
- Saturday: 9:00am to 6:30pm
- Sunday: 9:00 am and 11:00am
- Monday–Friday: 9:00am to 6:30pm
- Saturday: 9:00am to 6:30pm
- Bus No. 82, 82 S, 83 or City Navette till Theatre Stop.
- Bus 55, 60, 61, and 80 at stop Saint Victor.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
79.63% of people who visit Marseille include Abbey Of Saint Victor in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
59.33% of people start their Abbey Of Saint Victor visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Abbey Of Saint Victor
58.7% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Abbey Of Saint Victor
Cool abbey and crypt, very friendly guy there who was lovely with the kids even though my son didn't understand he had to be quiet. Nice place and worth taking a look at the interesting sarcophagi.
It's an abbey. Cold, huge dominating ceilings, old fold up chairs scattered around the area. Coffin of one or two people placed at the entrance. Brrr. Gave me the shivers. I'll stick to the beach and city centre, thankyou. Used to be a place of worship, now it's a tourist attraction... Really makes me wonder what will happen a hundred years from now.
It’s not the kind of church with huge paints, it’s even better. Once you enter you feel the historical atmosphere and context. It’s free, have a little store inside and a few video-tour.
Well worth a visit to this fortified abbey church. Some beautiful stained glass. Check out the crypt as well. Good views from the square in front across the old port