About Allauch, Marseille
Allauch, Marseille - Address
Address: Allauch, France
Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 7.7K times in trip plans
Family And Kids, Town, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
One of the two pretty hillside towns here (the other is Plan Cuques), Allauch is all about its countryside charm. 14 kilometers from Marseille, it’s a great place to simply walk around and take in the sites. There’s a small museum you can check out too. But the true attraction of this place is the plethora of cultural festivals and celebrations that go on throughout the year. This includes:
- Fete de la Saint Jean: Originally a pagan summer solstice party that has changed its identity to Christian, but kept its pagan spirit. 10 days of dancing, drinking, fair and a sardine feast are the main highlights.
- Saint Laurent Festival in August: Street markets, torchlight marches, drumming contests, water and light shows and loads of local delicacies await you in this festival.
- December: A donkey fair, the Christmas Market, a Shepherd’s procession and the Great Supper are major crowd pullers.
- Fete de la Saint Clair in January: Roasted pork, folk food and folk dancing, Mauret Pastorale (a Nativity play) will make you come running to Allauch.
The town’s history reflects its sprit and wit. Legend has it that a bunch of Moorish invaders who had besieged the town were gifted bread (the last of the village stock) by the gutsy but starving villagers to show that they had no dearth of resources. Disheartened by the apparent wealth of rations of Allauch (meaning a really long siege), the Moors packed up and left the city alone.
- Have a drink by a fountain in a square. It’s the traditional thing to do.
- Check out the 17th century church of San Sebastian.
- Check out Muse d’Allauch.
- Check out the five windmills on Esplanade des Moulins.
- Walk to the Notre Dame du Chateau on top of a steep hill for fantastic views.
- Eat at the yummy Moulin Bleu tea room.
- In summer, the walks around the forest might only be open in the morning; this is in ear of potential forest fires.
- Do not go by car during any of the celebrations. The town gets highly congested.
Allauch Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
How To reach Allauch by Public Transport
- Metro line 1 to La Rose, then bus number 144 to Allauch village.
- By Car: A50 motorway (direction Aubagne) out of Marseille, then the D2C and the D4A; From Aix en Provence, take the A7 motorway, exit at la Rose and then continue on the D4.
Restaurants Near Allauch
- Le Mediterranéo
- Bela Brise
- Le Salon Provencal
- Ventalon Wilfried
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
Allauch, Marseille Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Eglise Des Augustins
- Plage Des Catalans
- Arc De Triomphe
- Theatre Le Petit Merlan
- Plage Du Prophete
- Monument Aux Morts Des Orients
- Palais Omni Sports Marseille Grand-est
- La Maison Diamantee
- Jardin Des Vestiges
- Prado Market
- Marseille Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Marseille
- What to See in 48 Hours in Marseille
- What to See in 72 Hours in Marseille
- How to Spend 5 Days in Marseille
- How to Spend 6 Days in Marseille
- How to Spend 7 Days in Marseille