Chateau D'if486 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Embarcadère Frioul If, 1 Quai de la Fraternité, 13001 Marseille, France
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-603062526
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Fort
It’s not the only prison of its kind in the world (Cannes has it’s Lerin Islands), but it’s the only one that Edmond Dantes of Alexandre Dumas’ Count of Monte Cristo was imprisoned in. The island is a heavily fortified prison with steep cliffs adorned by gun platform – an escape proof prison that no invading navy ever took. You know what? Looks are deceptive – its defences are very poorly planned, and a well thought out attack might very well have taken it out. Poor people were placed in the bottom cells and the wealthier prisoners had private cells higher up. It’s not made very tourist friendly. So look around and let your imagination place you in a cell instead. We know that’s what you really wanted to do!
The shuttle boat that takes you here also visits the other Frioul Islands: Ratonneau, Tiboulen and Pomegues. You can make a combined trip; it’s well worth it if you’re interested in extreme environments. The dry Mistral Wind caused some unique bird, animal and plant life to evolve here.
Chateau D'if Travel Tips
- Hours depend on boat rides to and from the old Port.
- Bring your own refreshments and water. There’s none to be had on the island.
- Free for children.
Entrance Ticket Details For Chateau D'if
- Full price: 5.5 Euros
- Reduced price: 4.5 Euros
- Group price (20 people): 4.5 Euros
- Price for schools: 20 Euros
- Under 18(with family), 18 – 25 (From EU or non-EU regular resident of France), disabled people with attendees, jobseekers and ICOM card holder: Free
How to Reach Chateau D'if
- With about 15 daily boat departures in summer and less in winter from the Old Port.
- EUR 10 for a return trip.
- 20 minute journey.
- Bring your own snacks.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
22.4% of people who visit Marseille include Chateau D'if in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
60.61% of people start their Chateau D'if visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Chateau D'if
60.71% of people prefer walking in order to reach Chateau D'if