Fort Saint-jean794 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Prom. Robert Laffont, 13002 Marseille, France
- Timings: 11:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-484351313
- Ticket Price: 10 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Fort
Located at the entrance to the Old Port this massive museum, dedicated entirely to the history and culture and impact of the Mediterranean, has three major sections. Only two of them are at this location. These are the J4 building and the For Saint Jean. The third building, Centre de Conservation et de Ressources in the Belle de Mai neighbourhood, merely stores the museum’s collections in the city center.
The 17th century historic photo was open to the public for the first time as a part of this Museum. Even without the museums and exhibitions the fort is interesting all by itself. Check out the table, the gardens, the courtyards, the fountains, and the elevated viewpoints. Meet people at the Place d’Armes agora, examine the plants at Jardin des Migrations, and use the audio guide to immerse yourself in the sites’ 2000 year old history. The Galerie d’Actualite, the Georges-Henri Riviere, and the chapel are the exhibition spaces at the building. A 70 meter long footbridge connects the fort to the Panier neighborhood. The second, 115 meter long footbridge connects it to J4.
The stylish J4 building houses the semi-permanent exhibits of the Galerie de la Mediterranee, an auditorium, research and workshop rooms, and offices. A striking architectural feature is the concrete latticework. Climb the exterior ramp to the roof terrace. It was built by Rudy Ricciotti.
In these spaces the museum explores the cultures, mythologies, confluences, and evolutions of the Mediterranean nations through events, temporary exhibitions, a collection of over 1 million works of art - paintings, prints and sculptures, furniture, tools, vehicles, reliquaries, jewellery, costumes, textiles, fairground. Keep yourself updated on the website for upcoming events.
The museum would be terrific enough all on its own, but the views of the sea and city from its every corner are just the cherry on top of the cake.
Visit France Itinerary 2 Weeks for an unforgettable France travel experience
Fort Saint-jean Travel Tips
- Disabled accessible
- Check out the Maupetit-Actes Sud bookshop, the gift shop and the panoramic terrace cafe.
Entrance Ticket Details For Fort Saint-jean
- Family: EUR 14
- EUR 5 for concessions.
- Guided tour: EUR 12; Concessions: EUR 9; Kids 6-12: EUR 5
- Find extensive concession price list on the website
Groups of 18-25:
- Guided tour 60 minutes: EUR 240 (EUR 200 concessions)
- Guided tour 90 minutes: EUR 260 (EUR 220 concessions)
- Self guided tour: EUR 35 + admission
Fort Saint-jean Hours
- Night opening: 2 May - 31 October: Fridays: 11am-10pm
- Last entry 45 minutes before the exhibition closes.
How to Reach Fort Saint-jean
- Buses 82, 82S, 582 stop Fort St Jean
- Bus 49 stop Tourette Cathedrale
- Tram T2, T3 stop Sadi Carnot
- Subway M1 stop Colbert Hotel de Region
- Subway M2 stop Jules Guesde
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
32.22% of people who visit Marseille include Fort Saint-jean in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
46.67% of people start their Fort Saint-jean visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Fort Saint-jean
89.29% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort Saint-jean