La PanierCurrently Open
- Address: La Panier, Marseille, France
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Food And Drinks, Street Market, Shopping Center, Family And Kids
La Panier - Review
Panier means basket, and there could not be a better name for this place. This is where Marseille was truly born in 600 BC with the coming of the Greeks. The millennia saw many more cultures come in, at first from Italy, and more recently from Africa, South America, Vietnam and Madagascar–an influx of traders in the Modern Period that made the city rich beyond all wildest dreams. It was a thriving labyrinth of street and culture.
Then the Nazi invasion occurred. They blew up 1500 houses in Old Town, trying to clamp down on Resistance fighters, refugees, criminals, prostitutes, Jews and communists. Still, the place has recovered and came a long way since then.
- Local handicraft and art haven in galleries.
- Place de Lenche-Greek agora square lined with bars.
- The Diamond House
- The pink Daviel Pavillion
- The Vielle Charite-housesa cultural centre, museums, galleries of collections of African, Oceanian and Amerindian art and Mediterranean archaeology.
Place des 13 Cantons–setting for Plus Belle la Vie, a highly popular French TV series.
Visit France Itinerary 2 Weeks for an unforgettable France travel experience.
La Panier Information
- A.k.a Old Town or Vieux Panier.
- Visit in time for the Fete du Panier in June close to midsummer night.
- Take a ride on the Petit Train.
- Best seen on foot.
- Closed to road traffic 11:30 onwards everyday.
La Panier Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
How To reach La Panier by Public Transport
- Colbert Metro Station (Line 1)
- By Bus: Bus 49 stops at Cathedrale la Major bus station.
Restaurants Near La Panier
- Le Glacier du Roi
- Cup of Tea
- La Virgule
- On Dine
- Le Café des Epices
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting La Panier
55.37% of people who visit Marseille include La Panier in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
51.67% of people start their La Panier visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see La Panier
84.83% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting La Panier