Museum Of European And Mediterranean CivilisationsCurrently Closed
- Address: 7 Prom. Robert Laffont, 13002 Marseille, France
- Timings: 11:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-0484351313
- Ticket Price: 10 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Exhibition , Specialty Museum
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations - Review
In 2013, Marseille was declared the Europe Capital of culture. To live up to that name, the city opened this museum. Its two floors of exhibits focus on comparing Mediterranean culture with European culture and how the two have shaped each other making it the only museum of its kind in the world. The museum takes you straight from antiquity to modern times in a single exhibition, and then spends a lot of time delving into the details.
Outside of the main Museum Building, the site is connected to the 12th century Fort Saint-Jean, which in addition to hosting a rich collection of Mediterranean popular and folk art, offers spectacular panoramas via a footbridge suspended over the sea (the footbridge connects the two buildings).
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Information
- A.k.a Musee des Civilisations de l'Europe et la Mediterraneen.
- Disabled people need not queue.
- Check the bookshop on the ground floor.
- For the mobility impaired: At the Panier entrance, after the Saint Laurent footbridge, access to the fort will require someone to help for a dozen metres. Ask a staff member to help.
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Ticket Prices
- Given are full prices.
- Concession Ticket: 5 Euros
- Family Ticket (2 adults + 5 kids): 14 Euros
- Entry on 1st Sunday of every month: Free
- Children under 18, disabled ex-servicemen, civilians and veterans and unemployed: Free
- For other details please refer official website.
- Guided Tour Ticket: Adult - 12 Euros; Concession - 9 Euros; Child (6-12) - 5 Euros
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Hours
- Night Time Opening: Friday until 10:00 pm (May 2–October 31)
- Last entry 45 minutes before the exhibition closes.
- Exhibition rooms emptied 30 minutes before closure.
How To reach Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations by Public Transport
- By Metroline 1: Station Vieux-Port or line 2-Joliette.
- By Tram T2: stop: Republique/Dames or Joliette.
- By Bus: 49, 60, 82-stop: Littoral Major or Fort Saint-Jean.
Restaurants Near Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations
- Restaurant on the Museum Terrace
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations
34.49% of people who visit Marseille include Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
36% of people start their Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations
85.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Trips
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations, Marseille Reviews
Very nice museum with astonishing architecture. Great location at the harbour. Exhibitions were very interesting. Great place to spend up to two days. Quite relaxing and marvellous views. 4 Stars only because the restaurant is quiet expensive. And a lot of descriptions are ONLY in French.
Really disappointing. Hard to navigate the place. Expensive drinks from the cafe... €9.00 for two cokes. Give it a miss.
What cool design! Right on the sea! Lovely place to have a tour and see interesting artifacts. Also good place to have a bite or coffee. The place requires a few hours to see everything. I somehow managed to do it within two hours, but I'd recommended having a full afternoon to see things slowly and avoid rushing.
A stunning building. Expect to spend a few hours and while you're there, go up to the roof and enjoy the views of the Atlantic. There is a cafe and restaurant as well. Their art programming is also good.
Unbelievable place. Magnificent view of harbour, stunning J4 modern museum building and (2018) mind blowing Ai Weiwei exhibition. Best art gallery /museum I've ever seen.