In 2013, Marseille was declared the Europe Capital of culture. To live up to that name, the city opened this museum. Its two floors of exhibits focus on comparing Mediterranean culture with European culture and how the two have shaped each other making it the only museum of its kind in the world. The museum takes you straight from antiquity to modern times in a single exhibition, and then spends a lot of time delving into the details.
Outside of the main Museum Building, the site is connected to the 12th century Fort Saint-Jean, which in addition to hosting a rich collection of Mediterranean popular and folk art, offers spectacular panoramas via a footbridge suspended over the sea (the footbridge connects the two buildings).
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Travel Tips
- A.k.a Musee des Civilisations de l'Europe et la Mediterraneen.
- Disabled people need not queue.
- Check the bookshop on the ground floor.
- For the mobility impaired: At the Panier entrance, after the Saint Laurent footbridge, access to the fort will require someone to help for a dozen metres. Ask a staff member to help.
Entrance Ticket Details For Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations
- Given are full prices.
- Concession Ticket: 5 Euros
- Family Ticket (2 adults + 5 kids): 14 Euros
- Entry on 1st Sunday of every month: Free
- Children under 18, disabled ex-servicemen, civilians and veterans and unemployed: Free
- For other details please refer official website.
- Guided Tour Ticket: Adult - 12 Euros; Concession - 9 Euros; Child (6-12) - 5 Euros
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Hours
- Night Time Opening: Friday until 10:00 pm (May 2–October 31)
- Last entry 45 minutes before the exhibition closes.
- Exhibition rooms emptied 30 minutes before closure.
How to Reach Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations
- By Metroline 1: Station Vieux-Port or line 2-Joliette.
- By Tram T2: stop: Republique/Dames or Joliette.
- By Bus: 49, 60, 82-stop: Littoral Major or Fort Saint-Jean.
- Restaurant on the Museum Terrace
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
22.6% of people who visit Marseille include Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
36% of people start their Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations
85.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations