Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations, Marseille
About Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations, Marseille
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations, Marseille - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: 7 Prom. Robert Laffont, 13002 Marseille, France
Ticket Price: 10 EUR
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 11:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 5.4K times in trip plans
Family And Kids, Exhibition , Specialty Museum
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
In 2013, Marseille was declared the Europe Capital of culture. To live up to that name, the city opened this museum. Its two floors of exhibits focus on comparing Mediterranean culture with European culture and how the two have shaped each other making it the only museum of its kind in the world. The museum takes you straight from antiquity to modern times in a single exhibition, and then spends a lot of time delving into the details.
Outside of the main Museum Building, the site is connected to the 12th century Fort Saint-Jean, which in addition to hosting a rich collection of Mediterranean popular and folk art, offers spectacular panoramas via a footbridge suspended over the sea (the footbridge connects the two buildings).
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Information
- A.k.a Musee des Civilisations de l'Europe et la Mediterraneen.
- Disabled people need not queue.
- Check the bookshop on the ground floor.
- For the mobility impaired: At the Panier entrance, after the Saint Laurent footbridge, access to the fort will require someone to help for a dozen metres. Ask a staff member to help.
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Ticket Prices
- Given are full prices.
- Concession Ticket: 5 Euros
- Family Ticket (2 adults + 5 kids): 14 Euros
- Entry on 1st Sunday of every month: Free
- Children under 18, disabled ex-servicemen, civilians and veterans and unemployed: Free
- For other details please refer official website.
- Guided Tour Ticket: Adult - 12 Euros; Concession - 9 Euros; Child (6-12) - 5 Euros
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations Opening and Closing Hours
- Night Time Opening: Friday until 10:00 pm (May 2–October 31)
- Last entry 45 minutes before the exhibition closes.
- Exhibition rooms emptied 30 minutes before closure.
How To reach Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations by Public Transport
- By Metroline 1: Station Vieux-Port or line 2-Joliette.
- By Tram T2: stop: Republique/Dames or Joliette.
- By Bus: 49, 60, 82-stop: Littoral Major or Fort Saint-Jean.
Restaurants Near Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations
- Restaurant on the Museum Terrace
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
Museum Of European And Mediterranean Civilisations, Marseille Reviews - Write a Review
An interesting slant on the traditional museum concept. The exhibits are well laid out and they create a good level of interaction; the collection is however small in scale. The audio guide is a must if you want to fully enjoy the museum: especially if you're a non-french speaker. The staff are very helpful here.
Don't waste your time and money (9,50 €) on this museum. It's best part is a building itself, and it's free. The museum consists of one room of exhibits from the Mediterranean region, but there is nothing new there for anyone who have successfully graduated the secondary school. Also, if you happened not to speak French, bear in mind that all exhibit signs are in French. Same applies to their exhibitions, something hard to imagine in a newly built museum of 21 century.
The building itself is the main attraction. Very few exhibits, not particularly interesting or unique. Signs and descriptions in French.
We didn't visit the museum. But we enjoyed some drinks on the terrace. Very pleasant. Building is really beautiful !
MuCem was an unexpected surprise, o loved it since I got in, superb start like, first class. They were approachable, supportive. I'd come back for another seasonal exhibition because the one I went (Nous sommes Foot) was extraordinarily well organized and with very interactive information ... Thanks for everything guys
- Nearby Attractions
- Calanque De Port Miou
- Le Mole Passedat - Mucem
- 7 Boulevard De La Liberté
- Cci Marseille Provence (ccimp)
- Cercle Des Nageurs De Marseille
- Santons Marcel Carbonel ©
- Vieux Port
- Musee Des Beaux Arts - Palais Longchamp
- Le Dôme
- Marseille Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Marseille
- What to See in 48 Hours in Marseille
- What to See in 72 Hours in Marseille
- How to Spend 5 Days in Marseille
- How to Spend 6 Days in Marseille
- How to Spend 7 Days in Marseille