Notre Dame De La Garde2159 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Rue Fort du Sanctuaire, 13281 Marseille, France
- Timings: 07:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-491134080
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
Seen from above, Marseilles is a sea of terracotta roofs and that’s exactly the view you get from here, where a medieval fort once stood. It’s made up of a Romanesque style lower church and a Neo- Byzantine upper church. It’s set on the most prominent site in the city, on a hill south of Old Port. So, that is why this place so sacred to the people of Marseilles.
The gold-leaf gilded statue of Madonna with child are the guardians of the city. This builds on the fort that Francois I built here for the purpose of defending Marseille (he built Chateau d’If) for the same purpose. In 1793, the French Revolution’s anti-clerical elements shut the church down, and it was temporarily used as a prison for Royal personages. Its effects were sold off.
The construction of the Basilica we see today began in 1853. The project was belaboured by many difficulties, but everybody across faiths and classes contributed to the erection of the Church. Forty years later, it was done.
- The funicular
- The bell tower and the belfry
- The gilded statue of the Virgin Mary
- The rose windows on the transept.
- The dome, apse and sacistry
- The crypt
- The intricate mosaics on the upper church.
- The Oriental-ish nave and it’s 3 thematic cupolas.
- The chorus
- The side vaults
Visit France Itinerary 2 Weeks for an unforgettable France travel experience
Notre Dame De La Garde Travel Tips
- If dining at the cafeteria, book early for the weekends.
- If you’re disabled or with limited mobility, then inform before hand for more convenient seating arrangements.
- There’s a store with a large amount of religious paraphernalia.
- Car park closes at 1900 in the winter and 2000 in the summer. If you came by car, make sure to have taken it out before closing time.
- The Basilica is a major place of pilgrimage on Assumption Day (August 15).
- There’s a panoramic view of the city from the top of this hill.
- Entry is free.
Notre Dame De La Garde Hours
- Masses: 7:25am, 9:00am and 4:30pm
- Crypt closes at 6:00pm and Basilica at 6:15pm
- The Eau-Vive Cafeteria is open from 08:00am to 5:30pm.
- Store is open from 09:00am to 5:30pm. Closes at 7:00pm October to March.
- Museum is closed on Mondays.
- Museum open 10:00am to 5:30pm.
- Museum Closed 1:00pm to 2:00pm Tuesdays and Sundays.
How to Reach Notre Dame De La Garde
- Bus 60 links the Vieux Port (from cours Jean Ballard).
- Train departs from the Vieux Port for the 20-minute trip up the steep hill.
- 0.6 miles (1km) south of the Vieux Port.
- Eau-Vive Cafeteria
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
94.49% of people who visit Marseille include Notre Dame De La Garde in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
68.75% of people start their Notre Dame De La Garde visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Notre Dame De La Garde
88.73% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Notre Dame De La Garde