Old PortCurrently Open
- Address: Quai du Port, Marseille, France
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Waterfront, View Point, Walking Area, Market, Family And Kids, Port
To add to the already huge list of horrendous deeds done by the Nazis, is the destruction and blowing up of the original Old Port and most of the historic town here. The ancient Greeks saw the potential of this place in 600 BC and thus Marseille was born, serving as a rich and prosperous trading port for many centuries. It just kept on growing till in the 19th century, when it was turning over 18000 ships annually. Steamships put an end to that though. After the Nazis passed, the place was carefully reconstructed and is today used as a marina and a fish market. It’s mainly a pedestrian neighbourhood now with some spectacular views. Highlights of this place include:
- A lively fish market in the morning.
- Watch out for the stainless steel mirrored sun canopy.
- The Canebiere–Marseille’s main thoroughfare.
- The Opera House
- The Coursd'Estienned'Orves, which is a most convenient place to park.
- La Criee–Marseille’s main theatre.
- Entry is free.
- Bus no. 60, 82, 82S, 582 to stop-Capitainerie
- Subway M1 stops at Vieux Port subway station
- Au Vieux Port-Restaurant Marseille
- Le Tribeca
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
72.36% of people who visit Marseille include Old Port in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
37.91% of people start their Old Port visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Old Port
85.98% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Old Port
Great place to walk around as it's flat and level. Numerous places to have a drink or a meal. Well worth a visit.
Beautiful busy area I enjoy taking walks around the harbour... Fisherman sell. Fresh fish in the morning.
Nice and well-maintained harbour with space for a lot of boats and yachts. Has its own sanitary institutions. Is surrounded by good infrastructure (bus, metro) and provides access to many different restaurants and shops.
Great place, i really enjoyed my vacations over there
J’aime le vieux port de Marseille! A lovely place to visit with nice views in all directions.