Old Port, Marseille
About Old Port, Marseille
Old Port, Marseille - Address
Address: Quai du Port, Marseille
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 10.3K times in trip plans
Waterfront, View Point, Walking Area, Market, Family And Kids, Port
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
To add to the already huge list of horrendous deeds done by the Nazis, is the destruction and blowing up of the original Old Port and most of the historic town here. The ancient Greeks saw the potential of this place in 600 BC and thus Marseille was born, serving as a rich and prosperous trading port for many centuries. It just kept on growing till in the 19th century, when it was turning over 18000 ships annually. Steamships put an end to that though. After the Nazis passed, the place was carefully reconstructed and is today used as a marina and a fish market. It’s mainly a pedestrian neighbourhood now with some spectacular views. Highlights of this place include:
- A lively fish market in the morning.
- Watch out for the stainless steel mirrored sun canopy.
- The Canebiere–Marseille’s main thoroughfare.
- The Opera House
- The Coursd'Estienned'Orves, which is a most convenient place to park.
- La Criee–Marseille’s main theatre.
Old Port Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
How To reach Old Port by Public Transport
- Bus no. 60, 82, 82S, 582 to stop-Capitainerie
- Subway M1 stops at Vieux Port subway station
Restaurants Near Old Port
- Au Vieux Port-Restaurant Marseille
- Le Tribeca
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
Old Port, Marseille Reviews - Write a Review
If you are cruising the western Mediterranean, the old port of Marseille should be #1 in your list. NCL provides shuttle from the ship to the city and it is a few feet away from the bus stop. The Old Port (French : Vieux-Port) is best appreciated from the hill where a quaint Catholic church is situated and the view won't disappoint.
Near to railway station, beautiful place, full of restaurants
Walking distance straight from Railways station ! An amazing place to walk and admire the landscape !
windy weather with nice scrency of marseille
Fantastic place! The old mixes with the new!
- Nearby Attractions
- Espace Julien
- Abbaye Saint-victor
- Palais Omnisports Marseille Grand-est
- 8 Place Aux Huiles
- Palais Des Sports
- Le Mole Passedat - Mucem
- 23 Rue Fort Notre Dame
- Parc Longchamp
- Calanques National Park
- Marseille Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Marseille
- What to See in 48 Hours in Marseille
- What to See in 72 Hours in Marseille
- How to Spend 5 Days in Marseille
- How to Spend 6 Days in Marseille
- How to Spend 7 Days in Marseille