Parc National Des CalanquesCurrently Open
- Address: Bât A4, Parc Valad, Impasse Paradou, 13009 Marseille, France
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +33-420105000
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 06:00 Hrs
- Tags: National Park, Trail, Family And Kids
This National Park is basically a treasure chest of some of the best features of the Mediterranean Coast. It is spread over a huge area covering the mountain range stretching from Marseille to Cassis. But the majority of the park stretches out into the Mediterranean. Here's a quick break down of what to expect:
- Soubeyranes cliffs: These are some of the highest sea cliffs in Europe and the view from the bluff tops are unending and incredible
- Frioul archipelago: Though these islands have played a major historical role in the development of Marseille by serving as a quarantine and Military area. Today they attract tourists. They are home do some beautiful flora and fauna
- Riou archipelago: You can only view these uninhabited islands from far away. They are a protected area with hundreds of species of plants and a huge variety of nesting birds, some of which are endangered.
- Planier Light: This Lighthouse is actually the fifth one to be built on the site. The first one was built in the eighteenth century. It is the only lighthouse on the French Mediterranean Coastline to be registered as a protected historical monument.
- Ile Verte: This wooded Island had a military strategic role in the past. Visitors can still see the ruins of a bombed-out fort on the island.
- The park has a huge biodiversity of Flora and Fauna with thousands of species, many of them protected or endangered. This includes the species of plants and animals in the water.
- There are hundreds of miles of trails in the park. Other activities include boating, camping, cycling, rock climbing.
- There are two ways to reach the column of the park. Some of them can be reached by hiking over land. But most of them must be reached by boat.
Visit France Itinerary 2 Weeks for an unforgettable France travel experience
- Read the extensive list of do's and don'ts and safety tips and tricks on the Park website.
- Free entry
- The Park trails are closed in July and August due to the risk of fire.
- The various highlights of the park can be reached by bus, my car, by boat or simply by walking. It really depends on where you want to go.
- Be aware that private vehicles may have a hard time navigating the roads.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Marseille before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Marseille and book an accommodation of your choice.
34.81% of people who visit Marseille include Parc National Des Calanques in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
80.15% of people start their Parc National Des Calanques visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 6 Hrs to see Parc National Des Calanques
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Parc National Des Calanques
Stunning geography along the coast. There could have been better organization, signage, etc. to allow for an easier time visiting the park. The website is very basic too for such a beautiful area. Be careful before you commit to driving the mountain roads.
Majestic and wonderful, a lot of walking trails and wild herbs like rosemary and flowers in this park. Amazing views. This is an unique experience.
One of the Best place in the Europe for hiking. It is really beautiful with mind blowing landscapes. I do not have word to explain its beauty. It is out side of Marseilles but reachable by public transport. Google map don't work so arrange map before entering.
Incredible location to hike and swim. The hike up and down to the swimming spots can be a bit daunting, but well worth it for the views and the complete serenity. This location is perfect all year round depending on what you like to do. The summer will get very hot and crowded, but don't let that deter you from visiting all the parc has to offer.
Majestic and wonderful, those cliffs are a landscape that everyone should see in their life. It let you redefine yourself as a tiny party in this world compare to the greatness of those edge and facade. Moreover, every Calanques has its own story, name... This is a very good place to visit, by boat, but also to hike for the more sporty.