Maui is one the 7 main islands that make up Hawaii. With forest reserves and some lovely scenic roads and highways, this island is a perfect destination if you are looking for a calm and soothing vacation. What is amazing about this Island is the variety of activities which are available and are perfect for people who like the feeling of an adrenaline rush.
Whale Watching, swimming with tortoises, every coastal part of Maui has a hoard of activities to choose from. Paddling and surfing are not leisure activities here, they are a very prominent feature of the lifestyle of Maui. This island is known for its love for animals and has a lot of initiatives to save marine life. That is probably the reason why you get to see marine life here in a completely different light. The Pacific Whale foundation has been successful in creating awareness regarding the conservation of these depleting animals.
The road to Hana is considered to be one of the most scenic highways in the World. It is so beautiful that, this one particular drive would not seem tiring to you at all and in the end would just end up being more rejuvenating for the beautiful views and all that it has to offer.
When you go to Maui, you can include the following in your itinerary- Kapalua, Lahaina, Haleakala National Park, Wailea-Makena, Kaanapali, West Maui forest Reserve, Maalaea, Koolau forest reserve, Nahiku, Hana, Kaupo, Makawao, Waihee-Waiehu, Kahului , Paia, Wailuku, Napili and Pukalani. So why not go take a dive with the whales and some beautiful marine life while enjoying the serenity of your surroundings!
Essential travel information and Maui tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Hawaii-Aleutian Time Zone UTC-10:00
- Currency: Hawaii’s currency is the U.S. dollar. You can exchange currency at Kahului Airport (OGG), at the other major neighbor island airports, and at resort destinations.
- Electricity and Internet: Internet access is readily available in Hawaii. Electricity in the U.S. is 120 volts (120 v) at 60 cycles (60 Hz) per second. If your device does not accept this voltage, you may need to purchase a voltage converter.
- Languages: Hawai'i is also the only American state to have two official languages, Hawaiian and English. However, a 3rd unofficial language is also widely spoken, Pidgin which is a slang combining words from many aspects of island life and culture.
- Avoid walking on desolate dark streets or park at night; take care of your valuables.
- The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).
- Maui Visitors Bureau: (808) 525-MAUI (6284)
- Kahului Airport Visitor Information: (808) 872-3893
- Marriage License and Civil Unions: (808) 586-4545
- Hospitals: Maui Memorial Medical Center: (808) 244-9056
- Hana Community Health Center: (808) 248-8294
- You can surf or paddle your way through. Ferry rides is also a common sight.
- You can also take cruises and explore the waters of Maui in a different manner altogether.
- If you are hiring a taxi via online, the fare comes at a much lower rate as compare to the ones waiting on the street. Hiring these road side taxis might make you pay €25 for a short trip.
- U.S. standards on tipping apply: Restaurants: 15-20%. Check to see if “gratuity” is included for large parties.
- Bar: $.50-$1 US per drink.
- Housekeeping: $1 US per bed, per night.
- Luggage porters: $1 US per bag.
- Doorman: $1 US for calling a taxi.
- Room Service: 10-15% of the total bill.
- Taxi: 15% of fare.
- Check-in baggage is limited to 2 per person.
- Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece, along with one personal item such as notebook computer bags, purses, briefcases, cameras, etc.
- Be careful not to have overweight baggage; U.S. weight restrictions when flying domestically are 50 pounds, 70 pounds when flying internationally. The flight from the continental U.S. to Hawaii is a domestic flight.
- Hang identification tag on your baggage and affix an identifying label on your laptop.
- When departing from Hawaii, all baggage must first pass through Agriculture Quarantine before proceeding to the airline counter for check-in. It is best not to bring fruit or other plants, unless you show proof that you are allowed to export them. Without proof, fruits, vegetables and plants will not clear Customs and will be confiscated.
Maui Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Maui. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Maui trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Maui
Haleakala Maui Sunrise Tour w/ Breakfast
8 Hrs519 Reviews
Romantic Sunset Dinner & Dance Cruise! (Lahaina Harbor, Maui)
2 Hrs 30 Mins336 Reviews
Road to Hana Adventure Tour w/ Breakfast and Lunch
12 Hrs335 Reviews
From Ma'alaea Harbor, Maui: Molokini Snorkeling Adventure Aboard Calypso
5 Hrs 30 Mins354 Reviews
From Ma'alaea Harbor: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkeling Adventure Aboard Malolo
5 Hrs 30 Mins210 Reviews