Maui is one the 7 main islands that make up Hawaii. With forest reserves and some lovely scenic roads and highways, this island is a perfect destination if you are looking for a calm and soothing vacation. What is amazing about this Island is the variety of activities which are available and are perfect for people who like the feeling of an adrenaline rush.
Whale Watching, swimming with tortoises, every coastal part of Maui has a hoard of activities to choose from. Paddling and surfing are not leisure activities here, they are a very prominent feature of the lifestyle of Maui. This island is known for its love for animals and has a lot of initiatives to save marine life. That is probably the reason why you get to see marine life here in a completely different light. The Pacific Whale foundation has been successful in creating awareness regarding the conservation of these depleting animals.
The road to Hana is considered to be one of the most scenic highways in the World. It is so beautiful that, this one particular drive would not seem tiring to you at all and in the end would just end up being more rejuvenating for the beautiful views and all that it has to offer.
When you go to Maui, you can include the following in your itinerary- Kapalua, Lahaina, Haleakala National Park, Wailea-Makena, Kaanapali, West Maui forest Reserve, Maalaea, Koolau forest reserve, Nahiku, Hana, Kaupo, Makawao, Waihee-Waiehu, Kahului , Paia, Wailuku, Napili and Pukalani. So why not go take a dive with the whales and some beautiful marine life while enjoying the serenity of your surroundings!
Essential travel information and Maui tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Hawaii-Aleutian Time Zone UTC-10:00
- Currency: Hawaii’s currency is the U.S. dollar. You can exchange currency at Kahului Airport (OGG), at the other major neighbor island airports, and at resort destinations.
- Electricity and Internet: Internet access is readily available in Hawaii. Electricity in the U.S. is 120 volts (120 v) at 60 cycles (60 Hz) per second. If your device does not accept this voltage, you may need to purchase a voltage converter.
- Languages: Hawai'i is also the only American state to have two official languages, Hawaiian and English. However, a 3rd unofficial language is also widely spoken, Pidgin which is a slang combining words from many aspects of island life and culture.
- Avoid walking on desolate dark streets or park at night; take care of your valuables.
- The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).
- Maui Visitors Bureau: (808) 525-MAUI (6284)
- Kahului Airport Visitor Information: (808) 872-3893
- Marriage License and Civil Unions: (808) 586-4545
- Hospitals: Maui Memorial Medical Center: (808) 244-9056
- Hana Community Health Center: (808) 248-8294
- You can surf or paddle your way through. Ferry rides is also a common sight.
- You can also take cruises and explore the waters of Maui in a different manner altogether.
- If you are hiring a taxi via online, the fare comes at a much lower rate as compare to the ones waiting on the street. Hiring these road side taxis might make you pay €25 for a short trip.
- U.S. standards on tipping apply: Restaurants: 15-20%. Check to see if “gratuity” is included for large parties.
- Bar: $.50-$1 US per drink.
- Housekeeping: $1 US per bed, per night.
- Luggage porters: $1 US per bag.
- Doorman: $1 US for calling a taxi.
- Room Service: 10-15% of the total bill.
- Taxi: 15% of fare.
- Check-in baggage is limited to 2 per person.
- Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece, along with one personal item such as notebook computer bags, purses, briefcases, cameras, etc.
- Be careful not to have overweight baggage; U.S. weight restrictions when flying domestically are 50 pounds, 70 pounds when flying internationally. The flight from the continental U.S. to Hawaii is a domestic flight.
- Hang identification tag on your baggage and affix an identifying label on your laptop.
- When departing from Hawaii, all baggage must first pass through Agriculture Quarantine before proceeding to the airline counter for check-in. It is best not to bring fruit or other plants, unless you show proof that you are allowed to export them. Without proof, fruits, vegetables and plants will not clear Customs and will be confiscated.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Maui
Save 7%Maui Atlantis Submarine Adventure62 Reviews
Duration: 2 HrsBook Now
Save 5%Small-Group Road to Hana Luxury Tour and Helicopter Flight81 Reviews
Duration: 6 HrsBook Now
Save 8%Haleakala Maui Sunrise Tour with Breakfast317 Reviews
Duration: 8 HrsBook Now
Save 7%Maui Sunset Dinner and Dance Cruise140 Reviews
Duration: 2 Hrs 30 MinsBook Now
How safe is Maui for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Maui.
Corruption and Bribery 25 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 25 (Low)
Drug offense 50 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 100 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 100 (Very High)
Property crimes and Vandalism 50 (Moderate)
Safety Index 88.24 (Very High)
Climate Index 92.19 (Very High)
Cost of Living Index 88.31 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 73.61 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 6.89 (Low)
Purchasing Power Index 96.09 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Maui
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.15 USD
International Movie per seat 13.5 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 31.67 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 88 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 52.5 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.