You can see green peaks towering your head in this valley. Located somewhere in Central west of Maui in Wailuku; it is a peaceful valley spread over 4,000-acres and is a 10-mile long park which accommodates a very special landmark, the Iao Needle. This iconic green-mantled rock outcropping overlooks Iao stream and is the perfect attraction for sight-seeing and hiking.
The valley also has a great historical significance on the map of Maui. In The Battle of Kepaniwai-King Kamehameha clashed with Maui's army with an intention of uniting the islands. Even though Iao Needle served as a lookout point; Kamehameha defeated Maui in a well fought battle which ultimately changed the history of Hawaii.
There is a well paved and marked path leading from the parking to see Iao Needle and from the top, you can see beautiful views of the valley. Often covered in clouds, its advisable to have a really early start to get great views. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Maui Itinerary 2 Days.
Iao Valley State Park Travel Tips
- Carry food and keep yourself hydrated.
- Families can also take a rainforest walk or explore interactive exhibits at the Hawaii Nature
- Center, which is also located within Iao Valley.
- Restroom facilities are available.
- Go for the trail only if physically fit.
Entrance Ticket Details For Iao Valley State Park
- Individuals: Parking fee: $5.00 per car.
- No fee for Hawaii residents.
Commercial PUC vehicles:
- 1-7 passenger vehicles: $10.00
- 8-25 passenger vehicles: $20.00
- 26 + passenger vehicles: $40.00
How to Reach Iao Valley State Park
- Rent a cab or drive a car to the valley.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Maui before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Maui and book an accommodation of your choice.
80.74% of people who visit Maui include Iao Valley State Park in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
45.21% of people start their Iao Valley State Park visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Iao Valley State Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Iao Valley State Park