Christ ChurchCurrently Open
- Address: Gereja Christ, 48, Jalan Gereja, 75000 Melaka, Malaysia
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +60-062848804
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
Built by the Dutch when they took charge of Malacca from the Portuguese, this is one of most defining structures of Malacca. Brick-red construction with a huge white cross at the top makes it easily recognizable. It was constructed in 1753 to celebrate a century of Dutch occupation. The interior of the cathedral displays 200 year old handmade pews, decorative fanlights, plagues honouring Dutch soldiers.
The weathercock and bell was added by the British who also transformed the protestant church into an Anglican one.
- Dress modestly.
- Do not photograph without permission.
- 3 Sunday services are held in this church (English 8.30am, Mandarin 10.30am, Malaysian 4.30pm) and at Merlimau (7pm).
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Melaka before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Melaka and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Melaka include Christ Church in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
53.89% of people start their Christ Church visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Christ Church
93.37% of people prefer walking in order to reach Christ Church
This is a beautiful church located in the heart of Malacca and is one of the major sights to see. It was founded in 1753. The service is Anglican in nature and it is known for its beautiful mural that is behind the altar of the church.
This Church is also known as tourist center, which is there are many attractions around this church. I like the accoustic band and the pantomime one.
The iconic beautiful red walled church which is the cover photo of Melaka! Every visitor to Melaka would be posing for selfies / taking photos of this well maintained church! And yes, the church is open during normal office hours, and you can go inside to view it.
- Good: Ancient church; unique architecture; make me feel peaceful when go inside. - Bad: Always crowded; noisy; hot weather; have many local sellers open their shop outside the church, so it's make everything getting worse.
Free to go in and cool to see all the old headstones from before. Also nice place to catch some aircon in the gift shop