Old Melbourne Gaol4772 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 377 Russell St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +61-386637228
- Ticket Price: 25 AUD
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: History Museums, Historical Site, Memorial, Specialty Museums
This attraction is for those with a fascination for the morbid. Many of Australia’s most notorious criminals were executed here for a total of 133. This included killers who had become famous worldwide for the severity of their crimes, such as the serial killer Frederick Bailey Deming. It’s function as a prison was phased out after a while and it was used as a part of an educational institution in state. During WWII, it was again used as a prison for soldiers who went AWOL. At the moment, the old gaol functions as quite the popular museum, attracting over 130000 visitors every year.Most come because they’ve heard rumours that the goal is haunted by those who died here. Indeed, the museum displays the various memorabilia of its famous inmates, so who to say that the spirits haven’t been thusly anchored to this mortal plane.
Prepare your visit to Old Melbourne Gaol using Melbourne trip planner to get an overview of your day.
Old Melbourne Gaol Travel Tips
- Get the tour guide for lots of interesting stories and information.
- Not for those with a weak constitution.
Entrance Ticket Details For Old Melbourne Gaol
- Concession: 20 Australian Dollars
- Child (5 to 15 years): 13.50 Australian Dollars
- Family (2 adults + 2 children): 55 Australian Dollars
How to Reach Old Melbourne Gaol
- Trams on Victoria Street
- City circle no 35 to stop no 7, train to Melbourne Central Station
- Dracula’s Cabaret
- Shanghai Street
- Hero Subs
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Melbourne before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Melbourne and book an accommodation of your choice.
53.93% of people who visit Melbourne include Old Melbourne Gaol in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
47.18% of people start their Old Melbourne Gaol visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Old Melbourne Gaol
93.25% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Old Melbourne Gaol