- Address: Schallabur 1, 3382 Schallaburg, Austria, Melk
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +43-275463170
- Ticket Price: 10 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Castle, Family And Kids
One of the most important castles in Lower Austria, the Schallaburg castle has a long history dating back to the latter half of 11th century. Located about 5 kilometres from Melk, the castle really began taking shape in the 16th century. The olden parts of it look more Romanesque while the newer parts were constructed in the style of the Italian palazzi.
- One of the highlights of the castle are 400 terracotta sculptures depicting mythological scenes and characters. It was created by master artist JakobBernecker.
- The idyllic garden that greets the visitors is adorned with historic roses, ornamental wood and herbs, as well as the two apple groves typical of Renaissance time.
- At the entrance there are two large dragons each 30 metres tall and 6 metres high. It’s a recreational spot where children can slide down its mouth from the top.
- The castle is open to private events as well as music events that happen annually.
- Exclusive, evening tours as well as tours in foreign-languages are available on request.
- Group visits should be arranged by prior appointments.
- For a detailed list of events refer website.
- For Adult: EUR 10
- For Pupils and Students with ID: EUR 3.50
- Family ticket: EUR 18
- Holders of the Lower Austrian/ Upper Austrian/ Styrian Family ticket: EUR 16
- Reduced rate: EUR 9
- Without guided tour: EUR 3
- With guided tour: EUR 5.50
- Admission one hour before closing time.
- By Bus: Near Melk train station take bus route WL1. Refer website for bus timings.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Melk before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Melk and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Melk include Schlossschallaburg in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
55.46% of people start their Schlossschallaburg visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Schlossschallaburg
94.06% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Schlossschallaburg
The beautiful castle of Italian Rennainance style is combination of Romanesque residence and Gothic chapel. It's just unbelievably breathtaking
I love this place! Such a beautiful building.
Great exhibition, some English explanation under exhibits, not many seats for a large group like ours. Very interesting well worth the visit. But the highlight was the food in the restaurant “super “
Interesting castle to visit, restaurant inside with good ofer and acceptable prices.
Great lovely place