This place was home to the evergreen singer, Elvis Presley. It was in the initial stage of the singer’s career that he bought a lovely house at Audubon Drive. As his fame started touching heights, the craze of fans outside his apartment started increasing and this started disturbing the neighbors. As a result of this the singer realized that a new home was much needed. The house of Graceland was a grand gift from Elvis to his parents. The house was later declared as a NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK in 2006.
The house is situated in beautiful surroundings in a typical Colonial Style. The location on the top of the hill hidden amongst bushes and groves makes it picturesque. The house is divided into parts including 23 rooms and bathrooms-
- First Floor: This floor consists of a vast living area, the bedroom of Elvis’ parents, a music section, a dining room and a kitchen. The theme is ‘white’ and the style is completely classical. The soothing color of the furniture and the wall complement the black baby grand piano very well. The stained glass panes with the painting of peacocks are the most attractive part here. The dining room and kitchen have black marble flooring and is still stocked with products that were a must for the singer. There is also the Jungle Garden, that was the singers own creation. It has an inbuilt waterfall that was later made into a recording studio. It is presently a trophy room with the history of all the achievements of Presley on the walls.
- Second Floor: This consists of the bedroom of Elvis and his wife Priscilla and the bedroom of his daughter Lisa. The floor is not open to public as a mark of respect to the family and mostly because of the bathroom that was the site of the singer’s death.
- Basement: This was the entertainment den of the family with pool tables and home theaters. The quirky design and decor is what grabs eyeballs here.
- The Estate: This is the surrounding area of the house which was modified later. The most attractive part here is the gate that is in the design of a sheet music with green musical notes. The lawn also has a sitting area and a large piano where the singer is said to have composed most of his last works.
Graceland Travel Tips
- There is also an automobile museum of the singer and a private aero plane named after his daughter on display.
Entrance Ticket Details For Graceland
- Other VIP ticket combos are available.
- Free entry for children under 6 years.
- The timings of entry and closure changes throughout the year.
- Tour starts 30 minutes after the ticket counter opens. The last tour is an hour before it closes.
How to Reach Graceland
- Bus numbers 42 and 46 till Elvis Presley @ Old Hickory
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Memphis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Memphis and book an accommodation of your choice.
86.52% of people who visit Memphis include Graceland in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
86.44% of people start their Graceland visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Graceland
81.58% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Graceland
Graceland Reviews & Ratings
How far is the Days Inn in Memphis from downtown Memphis? Do we have to meet the tour guieds in downtown Memphis, or will transportation pick us up for the Days Inn?Answer Report Abuse
If you are talking about Days Inn by Wyndham West Memphis, then it is around 7 miles from Downtown Memphis. Most of the tours usually arrange transportation to pick you up from the hotel. But, it depends upon the tour have booked. You will have to talk to them directly to clear these doubts.Report Abuse